Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Household Cleaning, Kitchen Appliance Service and Repairs > >Electric< Large Kitchen and Home Appliances
Reload this Page >

Already tried the simple repairs, but Whirlpool Washer not agitating or spinning

Already tried the simple repairs, but Whirlpool Washer not agitating or spinning

Old 06-10-13, 02:03 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I have a Whirlpool Washing Machine, Model #LXR9245EQ1, Stock LXR9245E. It's about 10-12 years old and in great shape. Recently we noticed that the clothes were left in the washer very damp and it became clear that our agitator was not working properly, nor was our washer engaging in the spin cycle.

I hopped on YouTube to diagnose the problem and quickly found several videos detailing the following repairs: (1) replacing the agitator dogs; (2) replacing the direct drive motor coupling; and (3) replacing the clutch.

I have completed all three of these repairs and to no avail. The washer still does not agitate, nor spin.

According to the YouTube do-it-yourselfers, the other common problem could be a malfunctioning lid switch. So I followed the instructions on one of the videos and tested my lid switch using a multimeter to see if it was working properly. According to the multimeter, it was working fine.

So here's where I'm at now -- I have a washer that does not spin or agitate, but we know it's not one of these problems:
1. agitator dogs,
2. direct drive motor coupling,
3. clutch,
4. lid switch

At this point, I'm reaching out for help. What else can I try? Google has not yielded any results or ideas beyond the four I just mentioned. But obviously it's not one of these solutions, so it has to be something else malfunctioning.

Any help or advice you can provide would be greatly appreciated! I've already invested a lot of time and energy into this repair and I can't give up now and call a repairman. Can you help me diagnose this and direct me to instructions for how to fix it?

Thank you in advance for your response to my request.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-13, 03:57 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Dose the motor hum when when in either agitate or spin? Does it make ant noise at all? Is there a streak of oil about 6 inches from floor inside cabinet?
Easy way to check switch
On top under lid is a slot that is the switch. Put washer in spin and turn on put hand under switch and pull body of switch up. Use a pen or screwdriver and push down on lever thorough slot while holding switch. If spins now switch is bad.
On console there are 2 plastic caps on end. They pop off and than there are 2 screws/ remove screws and pull and lift console. it will hinge up and back. Unplug lid switch. 2 gold colored clips take them off. cabinet will come off and than you can replace switch.

Old 06-11-13, 01:12 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Yes, I've already tested the lid switch and it's working properly. It has to be something else. Any other suggestions?

Old 06-11-13, 03:39 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Checking lid switch is fine but switch splits at the seam and when lid is closed it will not make contact. Does it make any noise when it quits???