Whirlpool Duet Washer - WFW9400VE01 - Error F70/Won't Turn On

Old 06-12-13, 05:31 PM
Whirlpool Duet Washer - WFW9400VE01 - Error F70/Won't Turn On

Hi,

I own a Whirlpool Duet Washing Machine (and dryer, but the washing machine is what I need help with). It is model number WFW9400VE01.

Here is the problem I'm having: A few days ago the washer would not start. Everything would light up, you could chose your settings but when you held the start button in... nothing would happen. Then it displayed code F70. At the time I believe we unplugged it for a few seconds and plugged it back in and then it would not turn on at all. When you push the on button is just beeped 3 times quickly.

I know that error F70 is a communications error, I guess at this point I'm just having trouble pinpointing where the error is. Here is what I know so far.

- I checked continuity of the harness between the ui boards and the machine control board.. both seemed fine.
- when I unplug the blue wires either at the motor control board, machine control board, or the UI board, it displays F71 error. (this is true as of tonight. last night when i unplugged that same wire it did nothing, and then when i plugged it back in the washer would start again and take then display error F70 again after a couple minutes)
- I tried disconnecting each harness from the machine control board and getting the display to turn on one by one, and got nothing.
- i do have 120v to the machine board

Any other tests I can do to diagnose this? I'd really like to avoid replacing the wrong board. Please let me know if there's any more info I can provide to help out.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-13, 02:19 AM
Group Moderator
These newer style electronic machines are becoming tough for the DIY'er to repair. A repair tech would come in and try replacing the electronic control board.

F70 and F71 are basically the same trouble code. You have either lost contact between the control boards or have a defective control board.

You should first unplug the machine and then remove and plug back in all connectors on the front panel model as well as the electronic control module.

If that doesn't take care of the problem then it may be time to consider replacing the rear board. The FSP # 8183259

The control board is part # 14 in the link below.
Sears parts direct /Whirlpool-Parts/Model-WFW9400VE01

OR

Whirlpool Washer Won't Start - Model WFW9400VE01 - Repair Clinic

Old 06-13-13, 03:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I'll try to remember to check today but I think you will find the motor control board is bad. Board in bottom, should have 120 to (I think) pink wires. (Heaver wires) Did you find the tech sheet it should have ohm specs for motor 5 or 6 black wire at motor board. Blue wires should have DC voltage about 6 volts, If motor ohms out and you have voltage to the wires than I would say board is bad. Almost never find a bad motor.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...od=WFW9400VE01
Part # 1
At price of part I would call Sears and buy a service policy About 300 dollars, will get a 1 year service agreement for less than part. If you do that plug all wires back in you can leave panels off.

Old 06-13-13, 06:28 AM
Thanks. Should I have 120 to the motor board at all times? I know I have 120 to the machine control board, but I was not getting a reading at all down at the motor control board. I wasn't sure if the machine needed to kick on to send the power down to the motor board. If it SHOULD have power at all times, I'll double check that tonight to see if i can get a reading. It's also kinda tough to get the needle in that particular connector so I could have just been missing the contacts inside.

I did not check the black wires on the motor board yet either, I'll check those tonight.

thanks again.

Old 06-13-13, 01:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If I remember right you should get a reading in spin. It may be a quick on off when you push the start button. Haven't done one in a few months so not real sure.

Old 06-14-13, 06:09 AM
ah, OK... I can't get it to spin at all so I guess that explains why I'm not getting anything to the motor board. Checked continuity in the motor last night, ohmed out just fine.

according to the manual... if drum is not moving, I need to replace the central control board. I've heard rumor that they might have accidentally reversed that though... any idea?

I have been pull all of the connectors off and moving them around and stuff but I haven't actually cleaned them yet. I think tonight I will take some rubbing alcohol and an eraser and clean them all really well and see if that solves it before I buy a board.

is that the best way to clean the contacts?

thanks

Old 06-14-13, 06:34 AM
Group Moderator
You could try cleaning them. Usually just removing and re-seating them will take care of the matter. A pencil eraser is a good way to clean contacts. Alcohol wont hurt anything.

Old 06-14-13, 12:43 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Don't think cleaning contacts will fix anything. Never fixed any for me yet. Did you get 120 to motor board at any time? I think pink wires in spin, You might have to push start button.

Old 06-17-13, 05:29 AM
I can't get it to spin at all... when i can get it to turn on it won't do anything when I hold the start button in.

Old 06-17-13, 11:18 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Like I said before , At the price of parts Call Sears home service and see if they offer a service policy. Usually for a year and will repair washer. I think it will be cheaper in long run and they will give a warranty. Not sure but I think it is around 300 Hard to check your washer from here.