Kenmore Elite Dryer (Whirlpool) Timer Advancing Too Fast

Old 06-28-13, 01:17 PM
Kenmore Elite Dryer (Whirlpool) Timer Advancing Too Fast

I have a Kenmore 110.63942101 dryer where the timer is advancing too fast. So it'll stop before the clothes are dry. Everything else works fine.

FACTS:
* It does this on both the timed dry setting and/or the moisture sensing mode.
* I have checked the computer board for burnt capacitors, etc: nothing.
* There is plenty of heat and the air exhaust is nice and strong.
* There is no lint build-up inside the dryer.
* All of the wires look good; none touching or burnt.
* I assume the door switch is working since the dryer shuts off when opening it.
* I pulled the thermistor and it "looks" OK; but I don't know if that means it's working.
* I have ordered a new relay since they are only $10 ...waiting for it to arrive.
* Once the timer turns off from advancing too quickly, pushing the start button and holding it in will actually start it up but stops when released. The start button behaves this way ONLY after the timer advanced too fast into the off position.

QUESTIONS:
(1) Can the thermistor be bad even if it looks OK? I have attached a photo of my actual thermistor.
(2) What else can it be? I have searched a long time on forums and can't find a resolution.

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-13, 02:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes the thermistor can cause the timer to advance to fast. Not a common problem have seen it only once in many years. There may be a spec for the thermistor on the tech sheet in console. Can't remember if there for sure.

Old 06-28-13, 08:18 PM
Group Moderator
You can check the thermistor if you have an ohmmeter.
The thermistor should read approximately 11.9K Ohms at 70 degrees Fahrenheit.

I didn't think the thermistor affected the dryer in timer mode.

Old 06-29-13, 05:35 AM
OK, thank you, I'll check it. Is there anything else it could be? Or can it only be the board or the timer itself?

Old 06-29-13, 03:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If I remember right the timer motor is controlled by the control board. Black wire to board. Don't have wiring diagram here.

Old 07-02-13, 03:44 PM
OK, I tested the Thermistor and it tested OK. It was 11.1K Ohms in about 70 deg. F.

I did get a new relay in so I replaced that today as well. If it still advances too fast, I'll be back. I don't think the relay can advance the timer too fast, can it?

Old 07-03-13, 02:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
2 relays in your dryer 1 motor relay on right side, and 1 heater relay. No does not control timer. Control board controls timer, Thermistor is sensor for board, Make sure the wires are not open or grounded between board and thermistor.

Old 07-11-13, 06:17 AM
After replacing the relay, the dryer timer is still advancing too fast.

Is there anything else I can check? Or are we at the point where it must be the dreaded board?
Thank you! -Tony

Old 07-11-13, 01:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Should be a wiring diagram in console. If i remember right the thermistor is sensor for the board that controls timer. One other thing to check is the moisture sensor in lint trap, If you find diagram check which wires go to it and make sure they are not grounded.

Old 07-11-13, 08:42 PM
Can the moisture sensor itself be bad? ...would that cause the timer to advance too fast? If so, I'd need to check that too. How would I check the moisture sensor to see if it is good or not? Thanks again.

Old 07-11-13, 09:17 PM
Group Moderator
Can the moisture sensor be bad..... maybe.

Did you try running the dryer on an non automatic cycle.....like TIMED DRYING ?
The moisture sensor should not affect manual cycles.

Old 07-12-13, 02:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Moisture sensor is just two strips of medal with wires connected. damp clothes complete circuit and advance timer. Check for grounded wires from sensor to console, There should be a tech sheet in console with some test to make.I think one of them is moisture sensor.

Old 07-12-13, 05:52 AM
PJ, Yes, even when in "Timed Dry" mode, it advances too fast. I wonder if that's proof that it cannot be the moisture sensor or its wire?

Old 08-23-14, 09:14 PM
Hi Tony17112acst. Thank you for posting this. I am running into the exact same problem as you are on the exact same Kenmore dryer. Were you able to fix the issue by chance? The thread tails off without any solution or updates.

Old 08-24-14, 05:15 AM
The timer motor runs off of 120vac from the control board. In timed dry cycle, this power is applied continuously. If timer is truly advancing too fast, i.e. you set it for 30 minutes in timed dry and it advances to OFF well under that time, then the timer is bad. Timer part number is 8299771.

Old 08-24-14, 06:22 AM
I actually gave up and gave the dryer away. I purchased another one just like it on craigslist. Sorry!

Old 08-24-14, 05:42 PM
Thanks Tony.
Thanks Fairbank56. Would your advice also apply if both the Timed Cycle and the Moisture Sensor Cycle were advancing too fast?

- Timed Cycle set at 60 minutes and would be in the OFF postion within 35-40 minutes.
- Moisture Sensor Cycle set to Normal Dry and would be in the OFF position within 15 or so minutes.

Also,
- Following the Tech Sheet that was in the dryer console, the timer actually failed the Diagnostic Test. The Tech Sheet has the user refer to the component test if any of the components fail. When I did the Timer Test basically checking for continuity (open or closed) for each mode within the Timed Cycle and Moisture Sensor Cycle, respectively, every mode tested seemed to have tested according to the Timer Encoding Table.
- The Damp Dry Test to test the moisture sensors passed as described in the Tech Sheet.

I want to believe that it is the timer, and had already purchased the part from a local store (priced well over what I could've bought online by the way), and was told that once I try to install the new timer I will not be able to return it. That's the reason why I'm seconding guessing...or, rather, just making sure. Thanks!

Old 08-24-14, 06:31 PM
Yes, however this is a strange problem, I've never heard of a timer motor advancing too fast. Not advertising where to buy the timer but I can tell you that if purchased from appliancepartspros.com or repairclinic.com, it can be returned if it doesn't fix the problem. The timer motor runs off of line power, 120vac, which is applied continuously in timed dry and intermittently based on moisture sensor feedback in auto dry. If it were me troubleshooting, I would check the voltage at timer motor terminals with dryer running in timed dry. If it checks good at nominal 120vac then I would disconnect the timer motor wires from the timer terminals and connect it directly to an ac receptacle with a cheater cord and check timing again.

Old 08-24-14, 08:08 PM
Group Moderator
I have to agree.... I've never had a problem with the timer running too fast.
You'd think if it was getting 240v it would be blasted.

Old 08-25-14, 02:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have had that issue 2 X in 15 years. 1 time the thermistor was shorted and the other time the moisture sensor was grounded. Both were hard to find. The moisture sensor on the side with wire should read open when disconnected from control board. Sensor to ground.

Old 08-25-14, 05:46 AM
Don't see how either of those problems can cause the timer motor to run faster in timed dry mode. Power is applied to the timer motor continuously during timed dry. Also, the applied voltage does not affect speed either. Speed of these motors is determined by applied AC frequency and the number of poles the motor has. The only way I can see that these motors can run faster is if there is a problem with the reduction gears they use to drive the timer shaft. If it is really only advancing too fast (more on time than off) during auto dry, then check connection of the moisture sensing bars.

Old 09-03-14, 09:48 PM
Thanks for your comments, fella's.

Here's the update...
Purchased and installed the new dryer timer from AppliancePartsPros.com (thanks for the tip Fairbanks - saved me 45 bones). However, it did not solve the issue. It still advances quickly as soon as it hits the 20 minute mark in the Timed Dry setting.

When the dryer is in the diagnostic test mode, the timer will stick at the same 20 minute mark, very very slowly creep thru that mark, and eventually hit the OFF position without the 'beep' (to verify it's completion of that portion of the test).

When the dryer is running, the timer will accelerate at the 20 minute mark and will basically finish the remaining 20 minutes in a very short time - in about 5 minutes, some times less.

At the 20 minute mark in the Timed Dry setting, it shows "Tumble Free Dryer Rack". Please see the photo. Is there a way to test the "Tumble Free Dryer Rack" some where within the panel? Maybe need to replace the control board?

Name:  Kenmore Dryer Setting.jpg
Views: 8204
Size:  17.5 KB

Thanks for any advice!

Old 09-03-14, 10:41 PM
Group Moderator
The "Tumble Free Dryer Rack" is a rack that sits inside the dryer and doesn't move. It could be used for shoes. There is nothing in the timer that happens at the 20 minute mark in the Timed mode.

Old 09-04-14, 08:46 AM
I would have to connect a cheater cord directly to the timer motor and verify that the motor speeds up when it gets to the 20 minute mark in timed dry. If it does, then I guess it's the nature of the beast...i.e. designed that way. Never heard of this complaint before. I'm not so sure the label "Tumble Free Dryer Rack" is meant to be pointing to the 20 minute mark on purpose. May just be pointing to the timed dry portion of the dial as the dryer rack is only supposed to be used in timed dry.

Old 10-06-14, 02:39 PM
So it appears that I was totally wrong about the timer in these Even Heat dryers. They are designed to run fast when power is applied continuously but during normal operation, power to the timer motor is cycled on/off. In normal timed dry cycle it should have power for 7 seconds and then off for 113 seconds. I don't know what the criteria is for forcing the timer to finish early. May be a faulty thermistor or dirty moisture sensing bars. I've now heard of this fast moving timer again and have read several different tech sheets and came across this info about the timer power being cycled to advance the timer. Sorry to be the one to pass along bogus information about the timer.

Old 10-06-14, 04:46 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks for the update. A new one on me too. When you stop and look at the issue.... it does appear kind of foolish.

In a normal TIMED not automatic cycle..... nothing should dictate the timing but the timer.

Old 10-07-14, 12:55 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
As I said earlier have only seen this twice in 15 years. Both times took multiple returns to find.