LG LFC20760ST Freezer not working but fridge is

Old 07-04-13, 12:58 AM
LG LFC20760ST Freezer not working but fridge is

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Recently we noticed that the Freezer on our LG fridge stopped keeping the food frozen. Two days ago everything in the freezer was thawed. We removed everything and I tried changing the freezer setting to 1 and then to 7 to see if maybe it would reset itself but I went to check the freezer again and the bag of strawberries I was using as a test never froze. It's a bag of mush.

Any suggestions on how to get the freezer back working? I'm hoping I don't have to hire a technician as the rates can be astronomical as I learned from a washer repair.

Last edited by PJmax; 07-05-13 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Updated title info with model.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-13, 01:06 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

It may be as simple as it needs to be defrosted or it has a problem with the automatic self-defrosting. The appliances of today are fast becoming DIY'er unfriendly.

I'd need a model number to help you further.

Old 07-05-13, 08:29 AM
Thanks. I meant to include that in the original post. The make is LG.

The model number is LFC20760ST. It has double doors with a pull out drawer at the bottom for the freezer.

Old 07-05-13, 04:15 PM
Group Moderator
This is not an easy unit to diagnose. It has a control board and at least two thermistors (temperature sensors) that control the cooling as well as the defrost.

I would buy a fridge or standup thermometer and see if the fridge is holding temperature.

I don't know if I can help you on this one. Yours has the freezer in the bottom. I see the evaporator fan in the service pictorial and I can see it's connected between the freezer and fridge with an expensive dual duct diverter system but I can't see what controls it.

Do you hear the fan in the unit that moves the air between the fridge and freezer ?
You may have to remove the cover on the evaporator coil to see if it is getting frozen up.

The link below is the box parts breakdown. The evap. coil appears to be in the back of the freezer box.

Sears parts direct -/LG/Refrigerator-Parts/Model-LFC20760ST

I don't have the service manual or access to this one. It can be purchased but LG is not one of my primary servicing brands.

Watch the following video. See if you can get your fridge into test mode.
you tube repair video

Old 07-06-13, 08:34 AM
Thanks for the reply PJ

I'm not sure if this helps or not but I was able to get the refrigerator into test mode by following the youtube link you provided and immediately just as in the video, the freezer started blowing cold air.

I'm going to remove the freezer drawers and check the evaporator coil.

Old 07-06-13, 09:55 AM
I was able to finally remove the freezer drawer and everything else in my way so that I could remove the cover at the rear to see the coils etc. To make this easier, I started a pic hosting account so you can see what I'm looking at the back of the freezer. First, worth mentioning is that there was a good deal of water pooled at the bottom of the freezer. Granted, this could have been from frozen food that DE thawed. When I removed the cover I noticed that there was drips all over the coils.

See the attached link for pictures:

LG Freezer Repair Slideshow by skelly022782 | Photobucket

Any advice? I don't think anything is frozen at this point. The unit has been unplugged the entire time I've been working on it so it may have melted if it was. Also, I read something about making sure that the drain for the water isn't clogged up. Is that applicable here?

Old 07-06-13, 10:15 AM
Group Moderator
Nice pics

So are you saying there was no airflow to the freezer before you unit into test mode ?

Was unit unplugged for a while before you opened the evaporator cover ?
I didn't see any ice but it looked like all the coils were wet.

There should be a drain below that coil that goes to a pan under the fridge. That may be clogged.

Old 07-06-13, 10:23 AM
Right. Before I hit the test button on the motherboard, it didn't seem like there was any airflow. As soon as I hit the test mode button, the freezer fan seemed to start blowing air. I would say about 30 minutes passed between the time I unplugged the fridge and actually got the back cover off.

There was no ice but all the coils were wet and there was signs that they were dripping into the metal catch below which has a hole into it. I can't really access inside that hole unless there's another panel...maybe the back panel? on the outside of the appliance?

Old 07-06-13, 11:34 AM
I removed the back panel off of the refrigerator and was able to gain access to the drain hose for the pan and some other pans of very dusty water sitting on the bottom of the refrigerator. Everything was covered in massive amount of dust so I used a compressed can of air to clean everything up. I used a paper towel to soak up the dusty water in the pan. One thing I did notice is the bottom hose was submerged in dusty water. I took a can of compressed air from inside the freezer and blew through the opening inside the refrigerator to make sure I felt air on the other end which my partner did.

Back Panel Slideshow by skelly022782 | Photobucket

Any other things I should do before I put everything back together and try firing this thing up?

Old 07-06-13, 01:12 PM
Group Moderator
Dust is a killer. Those coils under the unit are how the unit gets rid of the heat. If they are dust covered the can't escape.

While you are down there .... vacuum those coils real good as well as the condensor fan that's down there. That may have been your whole problem.

Old 07-08-13, 01:36 PM
I'm out of ideas. Cleaned the coils up, the unit was off long enough for any ice to defrost. I filled an ice cube tray to see if it would freeze and it never did. The thought of having to call LG for this sickens me since I know they're basically going to charge probably half of what we paid for this thing.

Old 07-09-13, 08:54 PM
Group Moderator
In that video.... he described how to check the thermistors (temperature sensors) ..... did you try that ? The thermistors tell the board what to do. Since you got the fan to come on in test mode then the fan is ok. If it isn't a defective sensor then it could be a control board issue.

Old 07-18-13, 10:37 AM
Update

Update:

I ordered the PCB module for the refrigerator since repair clinic has a return policy had a try and buy return policy, where if the part doesn't work, you can send it back for a refund. The swapping out of the boards also was very simple. Remove the connections, pop the board out and install the new board.

When I fired up the freezer, the freezer fan was running which doesn't mean anything because cold air was coming out of the damper before. I gave it about 30 minutes but I don't think the board was the problem. I'm going to check the freezer to see if the Ice Tray freezed when I get back to the house.

If the board doesn't do anything, what else could it be? You mention defective sensors. How hard are these to swap out? I would imagine it would be cheaper than the board itself.