Maytag washer agitates but won't spin

Old 07-05-13, 03:39 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytag washer agitates but won't spin

MAVT446AWW. At first everything worked, but spin was too slow. I took off the front panel and lubricated the motor cam. Then I removed the thrust bearing, looked at it, cleaned it off and reinstalled. I took off the agitator, and removed the wash bin. Before going any further, I decided to see if lubricating the motor cam worked. I reassembled everything, now when I put it on spin cycle, all it does is agitate. Same when I turn the thrust bearing either direction - all it does is agitate, no spinnning! Argh! Any ideas?

Old 07-05-13, 06:39 PM
D
Also when it's in spin mode and agitating, if I push hard on the agitator, it starts spinning.

Old 07-06-13, 03:48 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
Tilt washer back against wall. Take belt off and turn pulley, one way it will agitate the other way the transmission will lift and spin. If no lift it will not spin. Did your thrust bearing have roller bearings in it. If it does that is the old style. Let us know what you find. Did you lube the cam in the thrust bearing? It needs lube on the ramp part. don't be shy with grease.

Old 07-06-13, 11:07 PM
D
No roller bearings on the thrust bearing. I put lots of grease on new cam. I've disassembled it completely now and have the transmission on my bench and planning on replacing it. Do I have to replace the tub seals also? It's already cost a lot and I feel myself slipping down a financial hole! On the other hand, I don't want it to leak either!

Old 07-07-13, 04:12 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Usually seal will come with transmission. Use all the parts they send as they are different than old ones.

Old 07-13-13, 12:01 PM
D
I replaced the transmission and everything works fine now. I didn't pay as much attention to the spring mountings and it caused me a lot of trouble, but you live and learn I guess.

Old 07-13-13, 12:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sorry forgot to mention to mark everything, Been here done that and tes it is a real pain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: