Dryer Vent In Wall Is Too Small

Old 07-07-13, 12:48 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dryer Vent In Wall Is Too Small

Hello,

I just moved into a house that is 53 years old. It has a utility room with washer and dryer hookups. The dryer vent has a small metal pipe, only 3" in diameter, that leads to the outside. It's also flush with the wall, so that it doesn't protrude at all on the inside. The dryer vent hose is the standard size, 4" I think. How should I go about connecting the hose to the vent in the wall? Are there adapters that would do such a thing? I would think whatever it was, it would have to fit INSIDE of the wall pipe.

Thanks for any help.
-Jim

Old 07-07-13, 12:53 PM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
You should not reduce the size of the dryer exhaust. You need to replace the wall vent with the correct size.

Old 07-07-13, 12:55 PM
J
Any other possibilities? Our house is brick.

Old 07-07-13, 01:03 PM
Our house is brick.
Actually probably brick veneer (one layer of brick over frame construction). Cuting the brick is easy, especially since you already have a hole. Using a hammer drill and concrete bit drill a ring of closely spaced 1/4"-3/8" holes around the outside of the existing hole and break out with a small cold chisel.

Old 07-07-13, 01:20 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
Ray gave the correct answer but they DO make a 4X3 inch reducer. It is available at the big box mega-mart homecenter in the same aisle as the rest of the dryer duct materials.

Old 07-07-13, 01:24 PM
Furd you are not supposed to tell him that. Then he'll be back wondering why his dryer isn't drying as well as it use to.

Old 07-07-13, 01:50 PM
J
I'm not sure if it's veneer. It may be.

I think I'm going to replace the whole thing with a 4" vent. I read the same thing about the 3" making the dryer inefficient.

I noticed the previous owners must've used a 3" hose (the rigid kind) and taped their 4" hose to it, then connected that to a 3" plastic adapter of some kind, then duct taped that to the wall vent. Didn't surprise me. After all, these were the same people that left corroded batteries in the one smoke detector. (They also have a newborn baby girl. But I shouldn't judge.) Anyway, that contraption made me want to do it the right way. We have a contractor working on our house. I will ask him to add it to the list of things he's doing. In the meantime, we will continue drying our laundry outside since. It is summer after all. And we'll save electricity.

Thanks for all your help.
Jim

Old 07-07-13, 02:11 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I love the feel and smell of outdoor line-dried laundry. Unfortunately I have lots of birds in the area.

Ray,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: