LG washing machine - back clearance needed?

Old 07-08-13, 08:26 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
LG washing machine - back clearance needed?

I'm looking to buy an LG top load washer, model WT4870CW, but I'm not sure if it's going to fit or if it's too deep. I know the dimensions of the unit, but can anyone tell me what the minimum clearance is it needs from the back of the machine to the back wall? It'll fit if i only need 3 inches, but not if I need 4 inches or more. Thanks.

Old 07-08-13, 10:04 AM
N
Received 18 Votes on 16 Posts
I think I have that exact washing maching (and matching dryer) at home. I'll check.
3" might be tight with the existing hoses for the water feed as they connect horizontally to the back. If they make a fitting that would do a 90' that you could connect to the washer, then to the hoses, you should be fine there.
The discharge I believe comes out horizontally as well, but I think it's preformed with a 90' bend in it from the factory.
Again, I'll double check.

3" might be tight. Can you pull the unit in and out to connect and disconnect?

Old 07-08-13, 10:44 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
They sell fill hoses with 90 bends on them. 3 inches will be tight but with 90 hoses I think it will fit. Before you install get model and serial #'s They are on back and hard to read when installed.

Old 07-08-13, 10:58 AM
N
I remembered where I saw those fittings....
When I replaced our washer and dryer in this house, I also did the builtin dishwasher. The connection for the hot water on the dishwash uses a brass 90 to connect the feed to the bottom of the dishwasher, same connection as the washing machines if I remember correctly.

Old 07-08-13, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
I don't think they are the same Mike. Clothes washers use a hose thread connection...all the dishwashers I ever messed with use a 3/8" pipe thread(?) and install kits normally include a brass 90 degree fitting with a male pipe on one side and 3/8" male compression on the other.

Maybe newer HE machines are different?

Old 07-08-13, 11:09 AM
N
I don't think they are the same Mike. Clothes washers use a hose thread connection...all the dishwashers I ever messed with use a 3/8" pipe thread(?) and install kits normally include a brass 90 degree fitting with a male pipe on one side and 3/8" male compression on the other.

Maybe newer HE machines are different?
I did a quick google search of the model number, and it's smaller then our unit. It is a hose thread.
As for the dishwasher, it was threaded on both sides, but it's been over a year since I did the install, so I can't remember the exact sizing.
If I'm wrong (very possible), it'll still provide a starting point for the search. Hit up a local HD or other similar store and search near the dishwasher/plumbing section might produce the 90 needed.

Old 07-08-13, 12:54 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks everyone. I ended up calling LG and they said I'd need 4 inches in the back for the hose/connections. I may be able to make it work with less space, but I've decided to play it safe and order another model. Thank you.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: