GE Oven Heating Up By Itself

Old 07-09-13, 08:00 PM
H
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Exclamation GE Oven Heating Up By Itself

I was using the oven, preheated at 425, and cooked my meal. I turned off the oven and realized ten minutes later the oven was still on even though the dial was turned to the off position. The oven had preheated itself to 550 when I tested the temperature with the dial. I unplugged it and plugged it in a day later to cook something on the stove top. The oven again preheated itself. I realized it was the broiler coils at the top of the oven that were red hot. I don't know if this would help diagnose the problem, but when we first moved in we tried to use the oven cleaning feature on the dial, but it did not work.

I don't know how old the oven is. We just moved into this house in November of 2012. It is a flat top range oven with a dial to change temperature, NOT a keypad. Serial number is GS248860G. Model number is JBP78GV3BB.

Old 07-09-13, 08:48 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,326 Votes on 1,225 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Ouch......that'll put a dent in the electric bill quick.

It could be one of several issues. Many times only one of the 240 volt legs that feeds the element is switched. So that would mean you may have a shorted element that would be using the leg of power that is not switched by the thermostat and ground. You can open the oven and see if the broiler element is evenly heated or only a part of it is glowing.

If only a part of it is glowing then it's definitely a defective broiler element.

The other issue could be a control problem. I'm guessing you have one control that selects bake, timed bake, clean, broil, etc. and a second knob that has the temperature settings with broil at the top end of the dial.

I can't find your part number in the listing.....close but not that one. Can you double check and repost for me.

Give that element the visual check for me too.

Old 07-09-13, 09:59 PM
H
The entire coil is heating up red, not part of it. I double checked the model and serial numbers, they are correct. I've attached a picture of my dial system and options.

Attached Images  
Old 07-09-13, 10:05 PM
Group Moderator
You didn't list your location. Are you in the States ?

If you are not then I may not be able to access the service info I need.

Old 07-10-13, 07:51 AM
H
I live in Missouri in the US

Old 07-10-13, 11:17 AM
P
Have you tried calling GE and asking if there were any recalls on your model of oven? You can also ask if anyone has called inquiring with a similar issue.

They might be able to offer you the solution and if it's a common issue, they may send someone out to fix it for free.

Old 07-11-13, 10:51 AM
H
I took your advice and spoke to a GE representative. They just told me to get a service call for $80 or replace it. There are no recalls on my oven and she told me it was made in 1997, so there is no way it is under warranty still.

I hope it is a part or two I need to replace and I can figure out how to do it myself. It was such a random thing to happen. I just need someone to advise on what is malfunctioning so I can figure out what parts to get.

Old 07-12-13, 07:27 AM
Group Moderator
Trying to find a wiring schematic of unit.

Old 07-13-13, 04:26 AM
H
PJMax I found some diagrams for Heather I will give you the link Cooktop and Control Panel parts for GE JBP78GV3 - AppliancePartsPros.com . Unfortunately this doesn't look like a diagram that is easily copied and besides that you can resize the diagram there so it is better to look there. If memory serves me right I believe I bought some drip pans from them for my stove top. I however am not endorsing this company merely using this as a fairly good source for a diagram. Hopefully this will help you PJmax I haven't done many repairs on these.

One thing I will say is that they mention an electronic control board. Since this does have electronics maybe the board went bad. Just a guess but I thought I would mention it. When I looked through the parts list it was part 16C. Welcome to the forum Heather!

I clicked on that part and it kind of looks like this is the part you need as they had questions and answers back so I would wait for PJmax to look this over but I think I solved your problem Heather. Stoves with electronics are nice but the electronics can go bad from liquids getting behind the panel or even too much heat. So it is your decision but you might be better off buying a new or slightly used unit that doesn't have electronics. I can't advise you too well about that wait for PJmax and see what he says. Have a nice weekend!

Last edited by hedgeclippers; 07-13-13 at 04:38 AM. Reason: Additional information
Old 07-13-13, 03:44 PM
Group Moderator
Thanks. I have several part listings for the unit but I can't find the actual service schematic.

The range has what looks like a mechanical knob for temperature but is actually an rotary electronic control. In looking at the picture of the control board I see the control relays on it which more than likely means the board itself is bad.

One board is discontinued and another one requires wiring changes.

The one that should be for your unit is FSP # WB27X10311
You can use that number to look for part.

GE Range/Oven Model JBP78GV3 Circuit Board & Timer from Repair Clinic

You can bring the board in to your local appliance parts dealer also.

Old 07-14-13, 12:17 AM
H
Your welcome I didn't find anything more detailed either unfortunately. Heather doesn't say what state she is in but a place I like here in Maryland is Tribbles appliance parts they have about every part imaginable. The people there know how the part is installed too so Heather if you do the repair yourself it might be a good idea if you take your part to an appliance parts place like Tribbles. I certainly agree with PJmax on that. Will it be cheaper there no probably not but at least you get good advice and they might possibly have a wiring diagram and a way to show you how to wire this.

If you are still uncomfortable about the repair then I suggest you look in the phone book under appliance repair. GE is o.k. and they will fix your appliance but they will also be more expensive than an independent contractor who repairs many different makes. If you have a repair man do the repair be sure to mention the part you think is defective and the model number and serial number. If you do it will save the repair person time and you money if they don't need to make a return trip. Good luck Heather Hobbs have a nice weekend!

Old 07-14-13, 11:57 AM
H
Thank you all so much for your help! It is nice to know what direction to head in next. I miss being able to bake things

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: