Whirlpool ET1FHTXMB01 - Drain Tube Keeps Freezing

Old 07-15-13, 05:27 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool ET1FHTXMB01 - Drain Tube Keeps Freezing

Good evening. I tried to do some research to figure out where the defrost thermostat is in this model but I can't seem to find it and the manual does not specify its location.

Basically I am having to defrost the freezer every week or so. The drain hole keeps freezing up and then the condensation leaks into the fridge from the freezer. It seems that when this happens a lot of people say the food in their fridge freezes. I don't seem to have that problem, but perhaps that's because I'm monitoring it almost daily and defrosting.

From what I've read, that sounds like an issue with the defrost thermostat, right? If anyone can help point me in the right direction I'd be most appreciative.

Regards,
Chris

Old 07-15-13, 09:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
Fridges used to use a basic defrost timer to defrost the evaporator coil. Now it's a control board that uses adaptive technology to compute when to defrost the unit.

In your freezer behind the panel is the evaporator coil. The defrost heater is usually attached to the bottom of that coil and the thermostat is clipped on to the coil itself. When the unit is in defrost mode......the heating element comes on. If the heating element gets the evaporator too hot it shuts off via the thermostat.

You will need to check the thermostat and heater for continuity and proper operation.

The link is for your fridge. There is a video there that describes operation. Well worth a view.
Whirlpool Refrigerator Not Defrosting - Model ET1FHTXMB01 - Repair Clinic

Old 07-16-13, 04:52 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I was able to locate the thermostat behind the panel.

I should also let you know that I have (on very rare occasions) been able to confirm that the heat coil did turn on and defrost the freezer. It just doesn't seem to happen as frequently as it should.

Therefore my followup question is - Does this rule out the heater assembly and/or control board being defective? Also, it doesn't seem to me like that defrost thermostat (part # 4387503) is adjustable in any way. Am I correct?

Lastly, the other night I tried increasing the temperature inside the freezer just a bit, thinking that maybe it was simply set too cold. Do you think this may resolve the issue, or is that most likely a waste of time?

Thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: