Dish Washer advice requested

Old 07-20-13, 09:48 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dish Washer advice requested

We bought a new Bosch DW...had all the features we wanted, etc. I won't go too much into all that, but just say, we want this DW.

Now, here is where I need some help. The builders of our house (back in 2002...we bought it in 2010) installed cabinets and the DW before tiling the floor, and now I am faced with either removing tile or removing the countertop to get it out - and the new one in). The floor tiles are 12x12 with only partials (about half a course) in front of the DW. The original DW is a GE Profile, by the way.

What would you guys do? I won't be able to match the tile most likely, and probably won't be able to match the countertop laminate. We're not looking to redo our kitchen, but unfortunately this is turning into a higher dollar expense than we'd hoped.

All thoughts appreciated, but hopefully most will be constructive.

thanks,

Maurice

Old 07-20-13, 09:53 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
There are adjustable feet on the dishwasher. Try adjustments to minimize how much space you need. It is a common issue, there are several DW's that are around an inch shorter in stature.

Old 07-20-13, 09:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
Some new dishwashers aren't as tall and can fit in your application.

Does the unit currently have screw adjustable feet on it ?
If so ..... have you tried raising them all the way up ?

Old 07-20-13, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
yes as cizzi says lower the feet as much as possible to remove and or to get the new on in.... i cant believe you have no room....

remove the feet altogether if needed...

Old 07-20-13, 12:02 PM
D
Yeah, thought about that, but it doesn't look like the existing DW has feet. It's more like it's on rails. I suspect they took the leveling feet off altogether when installed. The counters are at 35" AFF...guess the original owners were shorter and asked for a custom height. And I guess I'm looking at removing the counter top to install the new DW. Getting a shorter DW isn't really an answer because I still have to get the existing one out.

Maurice

Old 07-20-13, 12:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,324 Votes on 1,224 Posts
That's correct......you'd see rails. The feet would screw into the bottoms of the rail. If you don't see them then they most likely have already been removed.

Good luck on the countertop.

Old 07-20-13, 01:09 PM
P
Group Moderator
Received 747 Votes on 686 Posts
Getting the old dish washer out can be done even if it requires destroying it. The big issue is will your new Bosch be able to fit through the opening.

As mentioned, try screwing the feet all the way up/in to make the unit shorter. The attachment tabs on the front top can usually be bent down. Then use a pry bar to lift the front of the dish washer up and slide it out. If that does not work the support legs/rails underneath can be sawed off. Still, getting the old one out is the easy part. Making sure your new one can fit in is the important part.

Old 07-27-13, 06:18 PM
D
Just to close this thread out, here's a brief update. I was able to get the old GE unit out by putting on some work gloves and getting mad at it. I'm fairly certain I did destroy it. To get the new Bosch in, I ended up getting out a jig saw and cutting about 3/8" from the bottom of the oak edge trim. I angled the ends of the cuts at 45-degrees...really isn't noticeable unless you know it was done. The new DW is installed almost flush with the counter edge and works like a charm.

thanks to all who offered help.

Old 07-27-13, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 62 Votes on 54 Posts
Great job.....

. I was able to get the old GE unit out by putting on some work gloves and getting mad at it.

LOL.... This is my technique at times... ha ha...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: