Kenmore Topmount Leak in rear

Old 07-27-13, 04:00 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Topmount Leak in rear

I have a Kenmore topmount model 363.9664781. No ice maker. No water connections at all.
There is a tube from the middle of the rear that drains down to below the compressor. There seems to be leaking from elsewhere since there is dampness above the bottom of the tube, near the top of the compressor.

I noticed dripping in the basement. That's how I found it. There is not pan to collect water. Some of the electrical connections are wet because the leak is
above the bottom of the tube.

When I pulled out the fridge I noticed that I had written some notes on the back with arrows pointing to the tube and where it is supposed to drain. The notes are there because I had this happen sometime in the past. I did not write any notes about what caused the leaking or what I did about it. Smart, huh?

Anyhow, Can anybody provide some insights? Why would there be a drain tube and no pan? If the manufacturer expected drainage, why were there no installation instructions to provide a place for the water to go?

I'll try to attach a crude drawing.

Attached Images  
Old 07-27-13, 04:47 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
OK what's a top mount?
Model number comes up with a two door ref. with ice and water.
Can you recheck it?

Old 07-27-13, 07:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,950 Upvotes on 3,543 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Topmount freezer. Are you sure that model number is correct ? It doesn't appear in the Kenmore lineup of fridges. Actually it's in the AC lineup.

That is a drain tube that should originate just below the evaporator coil in the freezer. When the fridge goes to defrost that hose should transport the water to a drain pan in the bottom that sits on top of the condensor coils. The hot coils are supposed to help evaporate the water from the pan.

It appears that the pan has been removed for some reason. If you are getting water coming out of the box in a different place.... other than the drain tube.....then the drain tube is probably clogged.

Old 07-27-13, 07:30 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Pull the louver vent off at the front very bottom of the ref.
There should be a drain pan sitting on two metal rails.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: