another kenmore 80 series dryer problem lol

Old 07-29-13, 11:23 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
another kenmore 80 series dryer problem lol

Ok so first off i have read through 9 pages of threads on this series to try to find an answer to my specific problem

I'm a young female with zero expertise whatsoever but im an avid do it yourselfer and love to learn.... so please dumb stuff down and have diagrams if possible and i will be grateful lol

ok kenmore 80 series dryer is being finicky... there are multiple problems that have been trying to figure out... they may or may not be related and coincidentally just went crazy at the same time... i dunno

the spin time knob does not rotate once the machine turns on.... it seems pretty much stuck the second the machine turns on (i can manually move it like normal)

the dryer makes a cold start easily... but shuts off before a full cycle and is much harder to start right after that (i generally have to hold the button down) then it will restart and then shut off sooner and then the start button makes no sound at all and is basically useless for an hour or so.

what i've tried...... i've taken this whole darn thing apart
i cleaned all the vent/duct work inside and outside of the machine
i cleaned up all the stray dust inside near anything that moves
i oiled every moving part (pullys, support wheels, fan, motor, yada yada)
the belt is in good condition
the motor looks old but fine as there arent melted portions or anything
the door switch is fine as it works the same whether the door is closed or i am manually pushing the switch when trying to start the thing
i made sure the drum can freely rotate and oiled it along where it touches the front and back of the dryer
the heating element works great

so now im tossing up between
the fuses,
a bad outlet (i dont know how to reset it or test it)
the start relay (which i saw posted in a similar ish case on this site... but im not sure what that has to do with anything besides the initial startup i.e. i dont know why that would case it to turn off too soon)
the thermostat (though it seems equally as hot as t used to be on my primary heat cycle when i open the door)
and potential some safety switch perhaps (i saw that written on this site also)

ideally i'd like to try the most probable and least expensive options first then work my way down lol

thanks bunches! ^.^

Old 07-29-13, 11:38 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Upvotes on 69 Posts
Looks like you have 2 problems 1 The timer not moving is a bad timer Usually. 2 the hard start when hot is a bad motor. Motor make a groaning noise when starting? Sometimes will not start. When it will not start hold down door switch and turn drum in direction of travel and see if it will start, Either tape door switch or have somebody push start button while you turn drum.
Post Model # and can help with parts but will be fairly expensive.

Old 07-29-13, 12:06 PM
R
ok would the timer affect the shutting off problem? or it was just a coincidence that 2 problems arose simultaneously?

when i tape the door switch and turn the drum and then push the start button (following it having been running and not wanting to start just from the switch alone) it works perfectly fine.

if i dont manually turn it, the switch makes the same noise as when you have the knob cycled off but then try to push the start button.. im not sure if thats a groaning or other sound of annoyance from the dryer lol

listening to it with the door open it doesnt sound like the motor is labored and it turns very easy when its a cold start... doesnt try to turn at all on a hot start until i push it myself then it easily kicks it in gear. when it shuts off it just sounds lie the typical end of cycle sound without screeching or sputtering or anything additional

also how does one know of the motor is overhating? i fell like it seems very hot.... but maybe it just is very hot normally.. i dont know a ive never taken apart a healthy dryer

model number

Old 07-29-13, 04:10 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The start winding in the motor are going bad. Reason you can start it by hand.Timer just happens about the same time.
http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...od=11066812694
Cabinet Part # 27 motor
Top and console Part # 3 Timer
Bulkhead Part # 37 Blower Fan wheel 75% chance you will have to cut wheel off shaft.
Use part # and google for dryer parts may be cheaper.

Old 08-01-13, 12:30 AM
R
ok thank you The motor isnt worth the cost to replace so i was hoping there was any chance it was something else as i hate things going to waste.

Old 08-01-13, 03:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for reply thought motor was going to be stopper.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: