ge refrigerator is very warm, but freezer has icicles on everything

Old 08-09-13, 07:39 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
ge refrigerator is very warm, but freezer has icicles on everything

Hi my refrigerator is a ge gts18dbpdrww and the fridge is not getting cold at all, food is spoiling in it. But the freezer is on the lowest setting but everything is extremely cold and there is frost and ice on everything. The fridge isn't that old and I don't have money for a new one. Not sure what parts are bad so any info would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-13, 09:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,027 Votes on 953 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Can you confirm that GTS18DBPDRWW is indeed the correct model number? If not please correct.

Could be one of several problems. Have you cleaned/vacuumed the coils under the unit. It's important to keep the condensor coils and the fan under the unit clean. This is where captured heat is released into the air.

Also.....you have a fan that moves the air from the freezer to the fridge. You need to make sure that is still running. In the link below the freezer section is illustrated. You can remove the plastic cover in the freezer section to observe the evaporator fan.

Sears parts direct-GE-Refrigerator-Model-GTS18DBPDRWW

Old 08-10-13, 07:17 AM
D
yes i can confirm that is the correct model #. i have not taken apart anything under the unit so the coils could be very dirty, i will check that tonight and reply. i can confirm the fan moving the air is working, a week or two ago is when this started so i took the cover off and found tat the two holes leading down to the fridge from the freezer were frozen shut with ice. i chipped all the ice out. and it worked good for a few days now its doing the same thing again. tonight i will clean the coils under unit to see if that helps. thank you

Old 08-10-13, 04:08 PM
Group Moderator
While you were chipping away at the iceberg .....how were the coils up there ?

Fairly clear or frozen up ?

Old 08-10-13, 06:02 PM
D
The coils were clear the entire area behind the panel was soaked in water, also the area under tge unit was pretty clean

Old 08-10-13, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator
Received 35 Votes on 33 Posts
You might want to unplug the freezer and thaw it out overnight rather than "chip it out"........you likely did not clear the passage to allow the defrost water to fully drain.

If there is ice forming under the coil you could have a problem with something like a plugged drain or bad drain heater if yours has one.
Defrost it fully and try again.

Old 08-10-13, 07:14 PM
D
once I removed the back wall panel of the freezer the entire bottom below the coils was frozen solid. I chipped the ice around the two triangular Styrofoam pieces that cover the holes going from freezer to fridge. I then used a blow dryer to melt all ice blocking the two holes and also melted the ice in the hole going from freezer to top fridge unit where the dials are. I did this same process about a week ago and for around 5 days everything worked ok, other than there being noticeable amounts of water on fridge shelves and inside bottom of fridge. then the day of my first post everything repeated, where all my food in fridge spoiled cause it got warm and everything in freezer was covered in ice and frost.

Old 08-11-13, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
Ok.....so at this point we have determined that you have a defrost problem.

There are three parts that control the defrost cycle. Timer, heater and thermostat. The heater is just at the bottom or below the coil in the freezer. The thermostat clips on to the coil. The timer is in the top of the fridge behind the thermostat. In the next link it's pictorial # 648

Sears parts direct-GE-Refrigerator-Parts/Model-GTS18DBPDRWW

In the following link is all three parts and how to test them. You need to put the defrost timer into defrost to test the heater and t'stat. There should be a screw slot in side of timer that you turn with a screwdriver to initiate defrost.

GE Refrigerator Not Defrosting - Model GTS18DBPDRWW - Repair Parts - Repair Clinic