Repainting a stove. What to do about the knobs area?

Old 08-13-13, 08:39 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Repainting a stove. What to do about the knobs area?

Hi all! I have a stove and fridge that are both yellow. I want to paint them both white.

The big issue that brings me here tonight though is area surrounding the knobs. The face is painted black and then it had white lettering for all the various knob positions.

A lot of the black is scratched off as is much of the lettering.

I'm looking for ideas as to what I can do for this area.

TIA!

Last edited by PJmax; 08-13-13 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Changed knows to knobs
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-13, 08:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
I'm pretty sure you meant to put knobs,not knows, in your thread so I changed the three words. If I'm incorrect just let me know.

I painted a fridge one time. Never again. It didn't look very smooth and the paint didn't stick very well. I thought I had cleaned it thoroughly but apparently not. It's pretty hard to get a smooth finish on appliances. It's almost like painting a car.

You can buy burnish on letters or self stick letters to replace the ones that are almost worn off. Nothing will look as good as the factory job though.

I'll have the paint pro leave his thoughts for you..... plus others will stop by.

Old 08-14-13, 03:35 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 319 Votes on 283 Posts
I'm not sure I totally understand what you have going on with the letters I would think you'd either need to tape that section off and leave it like it is or use decals or stencils to replace the markings. Pics might be helpful - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

With the exception of touch up with appliance paint I don't recall ever having painted a stove but I have painted several refrigerators with decent results. While spraying gives a factory look, you can can a decent looking job with a roller [especially if it has a textured finish] Proper prep is always important!!

Old 08-14-13, 10:31 AM
D
Yes. That SHOULD have been knobs but I posted from my Android Phone and I didn't notice that auto correct changed it.

Thanks for catching/changing it.

I'll post a pic tonight of the stove.

My fist thought was to use some kind of stick on letters but I didn't know how well they'd survive the heat from the burners. And I didn't think stencils would work as small as these letters/lines are.

Old 08-14-13, 01:57 PM
P
Received 5 Votes on 5 Posts
waterslide decal paper and then clear coat

I did something similar but not as big a job. The front and rear panel of my stove were looking bad due to scrubbing. The front panel had the knob controls marked on it. I painted it black (same as original) using hi-temp engine paint. Then I bought a sheet of "waterslide decal paper" in white. I then used my PC to create the images I wanted in white on a black background (think of a negative) which is how it looked on the original stove. I printed that on the white paper. Since printers don't put out white ink, it left the white of the paper showing through. I cut out the decal, wet the paper and placed it on the panel. When it dried, I sprays a couple coats of clear on the entire front panel to blend it in. I still need to be careful when scrubbing since I could scrub rught through the clear but it is a decent reproduction.

Old 08-14-13, 02:10 PM
D
Thanks for the idea. That does sound like a viable option. Can you tell me how long it's been since you did that and how does if look now?

Old 08-14-13, 03:07 PM
P
still not too bad

considering that the paint and most of the symbols in that area were pretty badly scratched, I would say that with care, it is probably 80% better than before I painted it. It is not a carefree repair, but as you probably understand, evidently, the original paint wasn't so durable either. I did the work 3 years ago.

Old 03-13-15, 11:00 AM
B
stove lettering

Hi I'm having the same problem with a different style stove. The numbers have faded due to scrubbing ands I was wondering if you found a solution to replacing them? I've called the manufacturer and their only suggestion is a whole new face plate of $500.
Please help!

Old 03-13-15, 01:20 PM
P
my repair is still holding up after 4.5 years. I say it is worth a try. really pretty easy to do especially if you don't need to print the numbers along a curve but even that is not too bad with a little word processor finesse. Send private IM to me if you need help.