Starter Relay for GE Profile Refrigerator

Old 08-26-13, 05:27 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Angry Starter Relay for GE Profile Refrigerator

I am in need of a starter relay for my GE Profile Refrigerator. I did not hear the relay clicking but smelled plastic burning. I pulled the back cover off and plugged it back in only to see it sparking (I recall flames). I contacted GE and they sent out a tech (no charge) who validated it was the starter relay (p/n WR08X10031). I was later contacted by GE informing me they no longer made the part and that my only option is to buy a new refrigerator. It seems absolutely ridiculous to have to trash a perfectly good refrigerator (2001) for a $75 part. I have refrigerators that are over 20 years old that I can still find parts. I have exhausted my internet search and local repair shops for this part. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 08-26-13, 09:08 PM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Old 08-26-13, 09:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,952 Upvotes on 3,545 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

You didn't leave a model number for your fridge so I'll assume that the part number you left is the actual part you need.

I've found several places that still have it listed......or at least they say they have it.... I didn't actually check.

WR08X10031 - GENERAL ELECTRIC - OVERLOAD/RELAY | Part Advantage

Most sites say discontinued, not available or back ordered. Obviously a back order would not get filled.

Not looking too good. I've been trying to find a part that could possibly be a sub for it but no luck yet.

The best way to locate a part that is obsolete is to call local appliance parts stores. Most of them don't sell online and have older parts in stock.

Old 08-28-13, 08:20 PM
T
Replacement relay

Bring the old one to the supply house! Many substitutes would work, I replace them all the time with universal ones.! GEvis thinking about$

Old 09-14-13, 08:33 PM
S
You can still get the start relay. How many terminals does it have?(wires going to it)? You need a good parts person to find one from a different brand. I know LG has the same issue. They say you have to change the compressor if the relay goes out on some of their models. I have found them though. Look at the pictures on e-bay for starters. Pay attention to the total number of terminals. 1, 2, or 3 spade lugs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: