GE Profile Gas Range -Oven does not Heat Properly

Old 09-08-13, 07:05 PM
GE Profile Gas Range -Oven does not Heat Properly

We recently replaced the oven igniter. Since then, the oven started having another problem where it does not heat properly. When I set the over to 350 degrees, the actual temperature is only about 200 degrees. Even though the oven does not heat to 350, the digital display reads 350 after a short warm up period. If I increase the temperature demand, the oven won't kick back on until I set the temperature way up to around 500 degrees. Once set to the high temperature, the oven will kick on and raise to aprox. 500 degrees. Setting the temperature to anything lower does not work. I checked the temp. With a portable oven thermometer.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-13, 07:13 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Need the model # to look it up.

Old 09-08-13, 08:54 PM
It's a model # JGSP30GER3BG.

Old 09-16-13, 03:22 PM
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to fix the oven?

Old 09-16-13, 03:46 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 210
Welcome to the forums.

Sorry I missed this thread

That problem can be caused by three things:
1) Weak igniter (probably can rule this out as you replaced it)
2) Oven temperature sensor (most likely)
3) Temperature control board. (may not be available new)

A question... you replaced the igniter... is that because it was dead or in response to this current problem ? The reason I ask is that maybe it's not the correct igniter.

If we focus on the temperature sensor then there is a diagnostic routine to check it out that requires an ohmmeter. The link below shows you what it looks like. It's located in the back corner of the oven cavity. Usually you can remove the two screws and carefully pull the wire and the connection plug thru the hole and then disconnect it for testing.

With some ovens.... the temperature sensor is screwed in from the back requiring the range to be moved from the wall and the rear cover removed.

There is also a diagnostic routine offered in the link. The temp sensor FSP # is WB21X5301. With that part number you can check various online sources such as in the link or places like amazon. You can also take that sensor to your local appliance parts store where they should be able to test it for you.

Oven Sensor WB21X5301 - part and testing video from Repair Clinic

Old 09-21-13, 11:43 AM
Thanks for the reply. I checked the T/C and it was good (1100 ohms). The circuit board must be the problem.