Amana Refrigerator (ARS2464BC)

Old 09-12-13, 08:44 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Amana Refrigerator (ARS2464BC)

Okay I have a puzzle for you.

Our Amana Refrigerator stopped cooling, we here a clicking sound like the compressor is coming on and off. We uplugged it and turned in on its side to vacuum out all the dust (there wan not much). When we righted it and plugged it in it worked for, for a week then started the same behavior. This time we unplugged it and let it warm up for 12 hours, we plugged it in and it worked, for a week. This next time we unplugged it for 24 hours, we pluggged it in and it worked, for a week. So I read on the internet that we needed to replace the Relay. I replaced both the relay and the capacitor, it work, for a week. What can be going on????

Old 09-12-13, 09:31 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I can tell you one thing......don't put the unit on it's side..... the oil drains from the compressor into the freon lines.

It sounds like it may be a defrost or defrost control board issue. A standard fridge uses a defrost timer. Yours uses a defrost timer AND an adaptive electronic control board. This is the first unit I can remember having a timer and a board.

I know.....you're saying.....just my luck.

It usually takes about a week for the coils to become iced. You can check for ice by removing the cover from the back of the freezer. Normally as the coil becomes iced.....the unit runs longer and the fridge won't hold temperature. The control board detecting ice may be trying to put the unit in defrost and it's not defrosting.

So far it's the only thing I can think of.

Old 09-12-13, 10:10 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks

Thanks, Can we test to see which one is bad? It looks like the board is $125 and the timer is $50. It would be great to determine which one is bad. We do have a Volt/Ohm Meter if that helps.
Katie.

Old 09-12-13, 11:08 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
I would lean towards the control board since it's job is to determine when to initiate a defrost cycle.
In your case the defrost timer may just be used to set the defrost length.

Here's the issue..... the board and timer could be fine. You have a defrost heater and thermostat in the freezer. If either one of those was bad then even if the board told the unit to defrost....it couldn't.

Hard to test without substitution. I use the frost method to see if it actually is a defrost problem. That would be my recommendation.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: