Dishwasher fills when off

Old 09-15-13, 06:35 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dishwasher fills when off

My Kenmore dishwasher started filling with water when off. It filled and overflowed. (Being off, the cutoff did not kick in.) Not sure, but it seems to overflow as if it the inlet valve was full open, not just drip, drip, drip. It had not run for about 12 hours. It is about 4 years old. It also did this once about two years ago. I believe I replaced the inlet valve then. The only cause I can think of is the inlet valve failing.

It seems odd to have this occur again, so I'm wondering if there is something causing the inlet valve to open/fail. I am on well water, and get tiny sand, deposits, etc, in the screens, which I clean. I have needed to clean the inlet screen for the dishwasher when it fills slowly 2 or 3 times. Could it be that some particle's are getting through the screen and affecting the inlet valve? Causing it to open on its own?

I will likely replace the inlet valve, but if there is an underlying cause, it would be helpful to know.

FYI, don't know if it means anything, but I was showering when it occurred (wife alerted me while in shower). So I don't think there could have been any well pump pressure pushing the inlet valve open.

Any information, opinions, theories, etc are appreciated and welcome. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-13, 08:06 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Correction to dishwasher fills when off

After further analysis, the inlet valve was likely a slow drip, not full open as per my original post.

Would you agree this is likely sediment causing valve to not fully close?

In theory, sediment should clear with next cycle. (?)

For peace of mind however, should replace inlet valve?