Whirlpool Washer is not going to spin cycle

Old 09-20-13, 08:59 AM
Whirlpool Washer is not going to spin cycle

The washing machine has not been going to spin cycle after it agitates and drains. I simply times out and goes on to next cycle. I replaced the lid switch and ran it a full cycle. The washer filled, then agitated and drained ok. When it finished draining, it just hums and does not engage to spin. After a few minutes it then goes on to the next cycle.
The odd thing is when it is done draining and you lift the lid and close again, it begin the spin cycle and all is good until the next time it is supposed to spin.
Is it possible that it was a defective lid switch? any other odd things that would be causing this?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-13, 11:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Post model #so can see what washer you have. Does it sound like motor is running? One thing to check
Look inside cabinet about 6 inches from floor you you may see a streak of oil. If there you need a gearcase top seal, clutch and drive coupler. lean washer back against wall to look under it.

Old 09-20-13, 11:36 AM
no oil. I will post model number later.

Old 09-22-13, 06:36 PM
Model number WTW5200VQ2. Type 111-07

Old 09-23-13, 03:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you sure that it agitates? open lid and look might sound like but not doing it. If no agitate and no spin than you need a drive coupler. Let us know what you find.

Old 09-23-13, 01:38 PM
It is agitating. I am sure of that. It does everything except spin after it drains. We have checked and double checked the lid switch and how it is connected with the lid lever. All looks well. This is so strange. Any other ideas???

Old 09-23-13, 02:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I have never run into a condition like you have. Been working on them a long time. Lid switch should not be your problem if it makes noise. A small possibility is something in water pump. Unclip pump from motor (leave hoses attached, pull pump off motor shaft and try it in spin. You can leave cabinet on and just tilt washer back to get under it. Usually will not agitate or spin if something stuck in pump.

Old 09-23-13, 03:01 PM
Leave it to me to have something odd like this. This is so strange. When you lift the lid and close it...it engages right to spin cycle like it should. It spins normally -just does not engage when it is supposed to for some reason.
Washer works excellent except for this.

Old 09-24-13, 02:24 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like the gearcase is staying in neutral. Gearcase is working as when you open lid washer stops and than shifts. Run a complete spin cycle and see if there is a pause in middle of cycle. Pause is there for gearcase to shift. If no pause timer is bad.

Old 09-24-13, 06:48 AM
i will check that tonight but once the lid is raised and the spin cycle starts, I am fairly certain that it does run a complete spin cycle and goes on to the clean water rinse and agitating with that only to come back to the spin cycle (where you need to raise the lid again to get it spinning) I will let you know tonight. Thanks for your interest in assisting me with this!

Old 09-25-13, 06:28 AM
Last night when I checked , all the cycles ran 100%. Thought maybe we had it! Then we then ran again, and when it got to the first spin cycle, we had to raise the lid which it then started spinning and it did run the complete spin cycle and went to the rinse and again when it wanted to go to spin, we had to raise the lid again to get it started. SO SO STRANGE.

Old 09-25-13, 01:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Like I said first part of spin cycle no spin, just drain water, than a pause will restart and than spin. If no pause no spin.

Old 09-26-13, 05:47 AM
so you are thinking it is the timer?

Old 09-26-13, 01:55 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If there is no pause than timer.

Old 09-27-13, 06:15 AM
From the time the draining starts, the lid needs to raised and shut to get the spin cycles to begin. There is not a pause in the spin cycle, no. There is a pause from the agitate cycle to the spin but the spin does not start unless the lid is raised and shut again. After the spin, it goes to the rinse cycle and then same process to get begin spin again.
Sorry that I am being repeated but want to make sure you understand so you can hopefully understand the issue. The timer is a a bit more expensive part and want to be as clear as I can before I order the part. I do not want to find out it is not the problem after the timer is put on and cannot be returned. I greatly appreciate your help and your replies on this.
THANK YOU.

Old 09-27-13, 04:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
As I have said before midway in spin cycle there MUST be a pause or the gearcase will never shift to spin, here is video of gearcase repair and how it works
Gearcase how it works Whirlpool direct drive washer - YouTube

Old 09-30-13, 06:30 AM
After a weekend of trying to diagnose this further and taking the clutch out to see if there may be noticeable damage to it, which to me there was not. The drive coupler appears good as well. Let me try to clarify this better. The wash begins with water filling and goes to agitate normally. After the agitating completes, there is a pause. Then the draining begins and the agitator attempts to engage but is not able to begin. It has a slight jolt but does not spin. To get the spin started, you either need to lift the lid or push the button on the timer in and back out again. The spin will tehn begin. Occasionally, if there have been numerous loads washed, this may need to done more than once to get it to engage. Then there is a pause in the spin cycle when the water come out to rinse and spin more. It does this on its own and the spin cycle continues to its finsh. The clean water fill begins and then agitating and drain again. Only to have to do the same process to get the spin to initially begin.
My first guess was the lid switch which I replaced. I also have replaced agitator dogs since I had that the agitator off anyway. I started to think it was the clutch but that all “appeared” to be fine when took out and looked at it. Not saying it is not the cause but it looked okay. I am wondering if it may be the timer? The washing machine is about 18 months old and works very well outside of the initial spin cycles not engaging. If this helps you, please provide your best guess and what I should try next. Again, thanks in advance for you time.

Old 09-30-13, 12:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
When if does not spin does it sound like it is trying to? If clutch has oil in it it will cause a slow spin or no spin. Look inside cabinet about 5 inches up and see if there is a streak of oil.

Old 09-30-13, 01:32 PM
It does not sound like it is trying to-I would more relate the sound to the motor humming for the draining of the water. When I took the clutch out over this past weekend, there was no oil in it. No strak of oil. Am I right in thinking it may be timer???

Old 09-30-13, 09:22 PM
Group Moderator
Am I right in thinking it may be timer???
I believe that was mentioned a few times above.

After the machine drains...... there should be a very distinct pause. The motor will shut off. When the motor restarts it should be in spin. It would be the same exact thing as opening the lid for one second.....which you tried and it then went into spin cycle.

I just changed a timer for that exact problem.

Old 10-01-13, 06:02 AM
I will order one and see if that does fixes the issue. I gave these same details to another tech and was told to try a nuetral drain kit and if that did not work that it is probably that the gearcase was bad.
That seems far off????
Thanks to you and pugsl time and opinion and will let you know the outcome.

Old 10-01-13, 10:59 AM
Group Moderator
You have to hear the pause. The motor MUST stop turning. If you heard the machine pause and then if it restarted and it didn't spin..... that would be a problem in the gearbox.

You've pretty much proven that it's not the gearbox as you can make it spin by opening the lid.

Old 10-02-13, 06:13 AM
That is what I have been thinking to myself the whole time. How can it be the gearbox when it spins fine, just need help by simply opening the lid. I will let you both know if the timer was the fix.
Thanks again!

Old 10-04-13, 07:18 AM
Exclamation Timer is not the problem...

Well, I installed a new timer last night and ran a load immediately to see if things were fixed. I thought we were good, but not to be!
Here is a step by step of what happens. washer fills, pauses, agitates, pauses, drains. But here is where the problem is again. The draining lasts longer than I think it should, well past the when the water is completely drained. The motor is humming. Then finally a pause. Then the water starts spraying as the a spin begins. It is missing the 2-3 minutes spin after the draining. It will not engage that spin cycle but it does engage the second one here. ODD! So all this time the motor us humming in
the time that initial spin cycle should be going. It times out and then that pause before the "rinse spin" is started. After this completes, the basin fills with fresh water, agitates again as normal and then the same scenario...water drains but drains too long again and misses the initial spin cycle, pauses, and then the #2 "rinse Spins" starts (on its own again) ODD! and that will complete the wash. So, again...if you lift the lid at some point after the draining is complete, it will initiate the first spin. What would you suggest from here...? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE. Help

Old 10-04-13, 09:09 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Under the console there is a wiring diagram on back there should be a timer cycle sheet. What I read seems normal, washer will drain long past when water runs out. The spray of water is normal pause is normal , If it g=does not spin after pause I don't know of any reason it could do this as it spins when you lift lid. Is no difference between lid lifting and pause. Look on timer chart to see how long cycles are.

Old 10-04-13, 11:31 AM
Clutch?

I can check that tonight. So odd if it seems right but to me something is not normal. I amy be assuming too much and I hope I am. I will update again when I know more. Might need a clutch???

Old 10-04-13, 10:57 PM
Group Moderator
When you installed the timer did all the wires match up ? Was there a terminal in a different place on the new timer as compared to the old ?

I'm trying to remember something about a moved terminal and a black wire. The motor interrupt is a short duration....just like the rinse spray when the unit is spinning.

Clutch..... no.

Old 10-05-13, 02:10 PM
Not timer!

It's not the timer. Same symptom with both timers. All cycles run perfect with no clothes. With clothes in the wash, all cycles run as they as are supposed to EXCEPT that sometimes, after the drain completes and the pause, it will not engage to spin. I ran and watched 5 complete washes. One with no clothes where everything worked normally. Then the next with a load of clothes and all worked perfect again. On the next 3 loads, only twice of the 6 spin cycles engaged on its own. Clutch or nuetral drain kit? Something else?

Old 10-05-13, 03:23 PM
Group Moderator
I'm sorry. There are many threads running right now with similar problems.

You are correct.... not the timer.

As long as it drains and then pauses but does not spin ..... that would point to the neutral drain mechanism.

The timer functions are in 2 minute intervals. So does your washer drain past two minutes ?

Old 10-05-13, 07:48 PM
odd

it drains right at 2 minutes the weird thing is, after watching many cycles today it engages some of the time but not all the time. I took the cabinet of and jumped the lid switch so I could watch and see if the clutch drum spins after the drain cycle finishes. both times the spin cycle engaged by itself. Tomorrow I will try to add more clothes and try again so I can see if the clutch drum spins when the basin is not. If that occurs am i right to say it is a bad clutch

Old 10-06-13, 10:53 AM
I have a washer, 110.23832100 with the exact same problem. I replaced the clutch and gearcase washer with no luck. I will keep you posted here if I find a solution.

Old 10-06-13, 11:07 AM
Group Moderator
Actually, looking at another Whirlpool timer knob today it looks like it may be 3 minute intervals. Which would mean that it could seem like a long time that the unit was sitting there draining after the water was no longer visible.

I usually locate the wiring diagram inside the unit. On that, the timing is broken out into a chart.

Old 10-06-13, 03:43 PM
1:55

Mine is one minute 55 seconds.

Old 10-07-13, 02:20 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
yOU ARE RIGHT IT THE CLUTCH TURNS AND THE BASKET DOES NOT THAN CLUTCH OR SOMETHING UNDER BASKET. Sorry damn cap lock key

Old 10-07-13, 06:15 AM
Nuetral Drain Kit

I am going to order a nuetral drain kit and do that repair and see if that does it.
I also have a clutch on the way so might as well replace that since I will have it off anyway. I will let you know later in the week if this does the truck. If this does not do the trick, I think the only thing that may repair the issue is a new transmission and I think I would have to consider buying a new washer instead.

Old 10-09-13, 08:26 PM
Replaced clutch which I had previously ordered and not the fix!

Old 10-11-13, 08:57 AM
Transmission???

Is it all but a sure thing that if I were to replace the transmission that should fix this issue? Or is it still possible there are other things that might be wrong? I am make sure that ifi I spend the $$$$ on a new tranny, I want to be as sure as I can that will fix my issue. To recap, have replaced lid switch, timer and clutch/clutch assembly.

Old 10-19-13, 09:59 AM
transmission

Transmission replaced and all seems well after about 8 loads.

Old 10-19-13, 11:04 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Old 10-20-13, 01:09 PM
Ejj44,

Did you end up replacing the neutral drain kit prior to replacing the entire gearcase? I am debating trying the neutral drain kit myself.

Thanks!