Fridge Fitting Advice - Shallow Fridge Area

Old 10-02-13, 06:57 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Fridge Fitting Advice - Shallow Fridge Area

The house that I am currently buying does not have a fridge, so I have been researching on which one to buy shortly after we get the keys. I was able to take some measurements during the inspection, but I am finding that the area of the fridge is pretty shallow.

The fridge is in the corner of the kitchen. Here is a diagram:

So from the back of the wall to the edge of the doorway is 27.5". I was thinking I wanted the fridge door flush with that, but it's tough finding any fridges that are that shallow, if at all (especially when you consider the space required behind the fridge). Then I was thinking there might be trouble trying to open the door (greater than 90 degrees) if the hinge is against the wall.

So, should the fridge extend into the doorway? Like make the fridge body (excluding doors) be flush with the doorway? It seems odd, but I can't think of any other options and I can't recall if I have ever seen a fridge in this configuration before.

Any advice would be appreciated! We would like a side-by-side, but it may be a tight squeeze since it is in the corner and there is the adjacent counter in front of the fridge. A top/bottom freezer with the hinge on the left might be a better way to go.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-02-13, 08:10 PM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 52 Posts
Search for "cabinet depth fridge". Be sure your sitting down as they can be quite pricy.

Old 10-02-13, 09:53 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
***I'll start a new discussion in the interior improvement section, since that seems more appropriate.***

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, I saw the counter-depth fridges, but even then there isn't anything under 28.5" (just looking at bestbuy). Plus I have to consider the 1-2" (or more) of clearance behind the fridge. Better than any other options, but it will still stick out past the door jamb. $3K is steep for a fridge anyways; I would live with a regular fridge sticking out.

My options are trying to relocate the fridge, or heck, moving the location of the doorway. I'm just wondering what kind of fridge the previous owners had in there.

I dunno, here is a picture if you have any suggestions:

Thanks again!

Last edited by jstluise; 10-03-13 at 12:29 AM.