Frigidaire Old Fridge Ice behind Evaporator Fan

Old 10-31-13, 10:42 AM
Frigidaire Old Fridge Ice behind Evaporator Fan

Just recently the fridge section stopped getting cold. We manually defrosted for almost 2 days then everything started working again with no issues until someone turned the freezer control down one notch. A day afterwards I noticed an odor from freezer (thinking now it was food spoilage). Two days after everything in freezer had to be tossed as they were all defrosted.

Ever since, the temps in both freezer and fridge have been low. I do see frosting on the evaporator coils. I noticed by touch, something blocking the evaporator fan shortly after manually turning defrost timer. Would have to be ice buildup even though I don't visually see it. Although I have defrosted the fridge for 12 hrs. and the evaporator fan can be moved by my finger as a test, it would appear the evaporator fan either is too slow or just completely quit. I may have to change it. But I'm thinking I may have a defrost issue behind the fan. How can I troubleshoot it? I have a voltimeter.

This is a very old fridge, probably 1976, 1977 maybe? Model FPCI170T7. I'm actually having issues with attempting to lift the evaporator coils to get to the evaporator fan. It is a bottom evaporator making it very difficult to get to the fan.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-01-13, 02:10 AM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 211
Welcome to the forums.

Can you verify the model number for me. I don't see it listed. FPCI 170T7
You shouldn't have to move the evap coil to get to the fan. The evap fan should only run with the thermostat calling for cold. The fan won't operate in defrost.

You know where the defrost timer is..... trip it using a screwdriver, in the end, to internally move the dial. Once unit is in defrost the evap coil should start melting almost immediately. There is a heating coil under the evap coil and a thermostat clipped on to the freon line.

Old 11-21-13, 08:43 AM
Yes when I manually turn on defrost it does work. Was not sure if maybe it was not regularly turning on thus ice buildup behind the fan. So I changed to new defrost timer (was about $10), still same issue. Yes the model number is correct (FPCI-170T-7). Still uses R12 refrigerant. This is an old fridge. The fan is not sitting on the wall above the evap coil. It is on the same level as the evap.

Old 11-21-13, 08:44 PM
Group Moderator
Upvotes Received: 211
So at this point the thoughts are that the evaporator fan has failed ?