Dishwasher Flooding when switched off..!

Old 11-28-13, 03:23 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Dishwasher Flooding when switched off..!

Hi guys - we have a Viceroy dishwasher which is flooding even when there is no power to it. Switched off at the machine and the plug socket. It will run a full wash normally and well, but then I'll go back a couple of hours later and it has re-filled itself with water to the point of then overflowing... The drain pipe/hose is basically in a U shape under the cupboard/sink area - is that ok or should it not be laying flat at the bottom section? Does it sound like that or just that the inlet valve is broken? If the latter I will get someone round as it is under guarantee... Thanks! Mark

Old 11-28-13, 05:26 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Likely just some trash is stuck in the solenoid keeping it from closing fully.
Often happen when working on old plumbing lines.

Old 11-28-13, 05:35 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
Welcome to the forums! Does your drain hose loop up to the top of the cabinets before it drains? I would do as Joe says, and check under the inlet valve on the left inside the cabinet. There may be trash, or a piece of glass preventing this valve from lifting to shut off the water. It operates similar to a loo float, so when it has water under the cup it shuts off the water supply.

Old 11-28-13, 06:54 AM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi guys - we have a Viceroy dishwasher which is flooding even when there is no power to it. Switched off at the machine and the plug socket. It will run a full wash normally and well, but then I'll go back a couple of hours later and it has re-filled itself with water to the point of then overflowing...
If the water you are finding is *clean* water then I would suspect a faulty or obstructed inlet water solenoid valve. The solenoid valve is normally closed when there is no power applied to it.

The drain pipe/hose is basically in a U shape under the cupboard/sink area - is that ok or should it not be laying flat at the bottom section? Does it sound like that or just that the inlet valve is broken? If the latter I will get someone round as it is under guarantee...
The drain hose should be looped up to the underside of the countertop then down to the house drain. The majority of dishwasher manufacturers will require this in the installation instructions and in North America it's code in many places.

Reason being --- if there is a blockage in the house drain where this connects , the high loop will prevent back flow into the dishwasher. Also, the high loop will prevent any potential siphoning of water out of the dishwasher while in use.
As well, having the drain hose lying down then running up will allow dirty standing water sitting in this hose, which can create foul oders in the dishwasher.

So, if the water in the dishwasher is *dirty* then you may have a blockage in the house drain and it may be backflowing into the dishawsher.

Old 11-28-13, 09:01 AM
Group Moderator
Received 4,149 Upvotes on 3,726 Posts
There is not enough water in the drain line to flood the tub area.
As previously metioned the problem is most likely a sticking water fill solenoid.

It's good the unit is under warranty as parts can be hard to purchase.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: