V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Washer does not drain ...it does everything but drain

Brand: Whirlpool
Type: Washing Machine
Model: WTW5100VQ2
Serial: C03182201

It runs all cycles....during the drain cycle ....I can feel drain pipe is active...ie. when I touch it...I can feel water going thourgh it....

so I dont think its water pump...but correct me if am wrong...could it water pump is working but not at full capacity?

Drain system is floor standpipe type
and instruction manual says...
1.Min. diameter of standpipe should be at least 2" which I have..
2.height of floor standpipe should be at least 39" which I dont have it is..only 30"....can this create a draining problem?
3.It also says min. carry away capacity should be 17 gallon per minute...how can I check if I have at least that capacity?

Please advice....how can I solve this no drain prbome in my washer?

Old 12-05-13, 04:35 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,144 Upvotes on 1,920 Posts
If the pump on your washer is working and the drain piping in your house is inadequate or clogged you would probably have water all over the floor. You said the washer is not draining. Have you actually seen water flowing out of the drain pipe? Just because you felt the pipe vibrating does not mean water is flowing.

Old 12-05-13, 05:29 AM
J
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Old 12-05-13, 11:53 AM
V
Drain system should be ok ....

Drain system should be ok because I just replaced this washer yesterday..until yesterday I had old hotpoint washer and there was no problem with it...but this whirlpool washer...has problems...I see all water in the drum even after cycle is finished...

No I did not see water coming out from drain pipe...I touched and I felt vibration ..not sure it was due to water....

So are you suggesting I should unhook drain pipe from system and check if there is water coming out of it...if not there should be problem with water pump?

Please advice because I don't want to open everything and find prob is somewhere else..

Old 12-05-13, 02:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Should BE ABLE TO HEAR WATER GOING DOWN DRAIN PIPE. Is the washer running when in drain? usually problem is lid switch is bad but washer would not be running in spin and drain. Here is something to check
Look inside cabinet about 6 inches from floor you you may see a streak of oil. If there you need a gearcase top seal, clutch and drive coupler. lean washer back against wall to look under it.

Old 12-05-13, 05:32 PM
V
So if lid switch is a problem.....when I open lid....spinning should not stop correct?.. every thing stops....when....I...open the lid...does this mean lid is OK?

Old 12-05-13, 05:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Yes..... correct on the switch operation.

If you can hear the motor running when the unit should be draining..... and the unit is not draining then the pump itself is bad or has something (sock) stuck in the line.

The following video will show you how to access the water pump as well as how to remove it to check it. Be advised that you will need to empty the tub first as when you disconnect the lines to the pump there will be a flood.

I carry a small pump to do just that.

Drain Pump Replacement (part #3363394) - Whirlpool Washer Repair on You Tube

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: