Not draining

Old 12-05-13, 07:09 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Not draining

Hi all (and Ejj44).
I have the EXACT same problem with our 30 month old Kenmore.

That is, everything works fine except that when it is draining, it does not start spinning after completing the drain... it requires the lid to be lifted and close in order for it to start the spin cycle.

There are no signs of oil, no signs of shreded or deteriorating coupler, the lid switch is good, etc.

Since my wife does the laundry and not I, I thought perhaps she was being impatient. So I did a couple small loads (at extra-small load setting) and discovered that if you wait long enough, the pump will stop the drain cycle (even though the tub drained long before that) and will automatically continue with the spin cycle as designed.

So my question is this:
Do these Whirlpool/Kenmore machines advance from draining to spin based on :
a) TIMER (such that extra-small water setting loads will drain for the same length of time as large water setting loads) before advancing to the spin cycle
OR
b) PRESSURE SWITCH (such that when the water is drained/low pressure, the spin cycle starts)
OR
c) INTEGRATED CIRCUIT (such that the machine is programmed to drain for different lengths of time based on the water level setting switch at the fill cycle).

Thanks in advance for the help,
Jim

Old 12-05-13, 07:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,328 Upvotes on 2,987 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I just love multiple choice questions

The answer to your question is A) the timer. It doesn't matter how full the tub was/is.
There is one timing segment dedicated to draining.

If you look at your timer you'll notice the cycles.... like wash..... are in minutes. Most are two minute segments. That means your machine will drain for two minutes.

There is a schematic that comes with EVERY major appliance. On a washer it's sometimes glued to the rear access cover. On that schematic will be the exact timing specs in a chart.

Old 12-05-13, 08:55 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks so much for referring me to the schematic for the drain timing spec (and the location of the schematic). I'll go find it and compare the drain time spec to what we are experiencing.

I was beginning to think that the Neutral Drain mechanism had failed (e.g., Spin Pawl broken, Shoulder Pawl Stud broken, Trip Lever worn and/or Spin Gear teeth worn) requiring me to pull and open up the gear box.

Gosh... the internet and forums like this are a beautiful thing!

20 years ago when appliances failed, I would have flown blindly by taking it apart to look for and fix something only to break something else during disassembly/assembly or not reassemblying correctly. Then I would have ultimately had to throw it away and buy a new appliance.

Thanks again!

Old 12-05-13, 09:30 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,328 Upvotes on 2,987 Posts
20 years ago when appliances failed, I would have flown blindly by taking it apart to look for and fix something only to break something else during disassembly/assembly or not reassemblying correctly.
Yup... that's how we learn

Old 12-05-13, 10:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Upvotes on 69 Posts
Moved post to it's own thread, You said no oil, did you check this
Look inside cabinet about 6 inches from floor you you may see a streak of oil. If there you need a gearcase top seal, clutch and drive coupler. lean washer back against wall to look under it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: