Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Household Cleaning, Kitchen Appliance Service and Repairs > >Electric< Large Kitchen and Home Appliances
Reload this Page >

Just bought house; laundry room is small! Need advice on washer/dryer (photo)

Old 12-12-13, 06:56 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum, and a new homeowner. As you know it's pretty overwhelming at first.

I ordered a washer/dryer set (LG front load) that is supposed to be delivered this weekend, but I'm now concerned there isn't enough space in the laundry room for them to fit side-by-side.

The dimensions on each are pretty standard (27" wide, 29.75" deep). As you can see from my photo - I would be cutting it very close, and even if they do fit next to each other, there won't be much room for me to enter/exit through the side door.

I would GREATLY appreciate your advice. Please take a look at the attached photo, and let me know what you think! Thanks in advance.

Attached Images  
Old 12-13-13, 02:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 785 Upvotes on 688 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

If you install the washer first, you'll be able to slide the dryer in next to it but there is nothing you can do about the lack of room in front unless you switch to a smaller set. The way the laundry rm was designed doesn't allow for much extra space. I'd be concerned with having enough room to comfortably walk thru the room, especially when exiting to the garage [?]

Was there a washer/dryer in there when you first looked at the house? I'd consider changing the order to a set that doesn't stick out as far.

Old 12-13-13, 03:35 AM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
I'm afraid that Mark is correct, you need a smaller laundry set. Remember that you will need some 6 to 8 inches behind the machines for the hoses, gas line and dryer vent.

Old 12-13-13, 06:06 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 1,951 Upvotes on 1,747 Posts
I see it all the time with my rental properties. People go buy/rent the big saxy units (usually in metallic red color) with no thought of where they need to go and not realizing that they do come in differenet sizes. I agree that you need to pick smaller appliances. Call the store immediately and cancel the delivery before you get charged delivery and re-stocking fees.

Old 12-13-13, 07:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Could buy a washer dryer combo unit or stack washer dryer, If you stack them remember ant time for repairs you will need to pay for 2 men to work on washer,

Old 12-15-13, 10:52 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice all! You saved me a lot of frustration. I did cancel the order and I'm researching compact sized units (24") - which seem to be more popular from European manufacturers.

Old 12-15-13, 09:51 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
If you stack them remember ant time for repairs you will need to pay for 2 men to work on washer,
Why?

My laundry room is roughly 7-1/2 feet wide by 5 feet long. I have a laundry tub and stacking washer and dryer against the shorter wall. My laundry equipment is roughly 2 feet square and each unit is 33-1/2 inches tall. I am not a particularly strong person but I had no trouble moving the assembly away from the wall and lifting the dryer off of the washer when I needed to replace a component inside the washer cabinet. No particular problem putting it back together again.

Biggest problem was that the laundry room is also the passage from the house to the garage. Pulling the machines out from the wall blocked the access to the garage and I had to push the washer back to the wall, drag the dryer towards the house and then walk around outside and come in from the garage to then drag the dryer out to the garage where I proceeded to do a major lint cleaning. Same dance putting it back in the laundry room, all done by my lonesome.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: