Burning Smell from Kenmore 80 Series Washer

Old 12-13-13, 09:53 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Burning Smell from Kenmore 80 Series Washer

Model number is 110.26852501. We woke this morning to an electric burning smell that was throughout the house, but could not find the source. We started a load of laundry, and the smell became stronger and the washer ended up stopping in the middle of the wash cycle. Any suggestions or thoughts on what the likely problem is?

Old 12-13-13, 11:57 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 2,309 Upvotes on 2,054 Posts
How old is your house? Is anything else in the house not working? Dead outlets or lights? Any tripped circuit breakers or blown fuses?

Since the smell started before doing the laundry (during the night) I would check the house's electrical circuits. You could have a very dangerous situation on your hands. The washer quitting part way through the cycle could just be a symptom of a more major wiring issue like wires shorting or burning inside the walls. Something this potentially serious I would suggest skipping the DIY and call in an electrician to find the source of the electrical burning smell. In the mean time I would turn off any non-essential circuit breakers especially the one for the washing machine.

Old 12-13-13, 12:02 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 71 Posts
Will have to find out where the smell is coming from Top, bottom
here are directions to remove cabinet, just take cabinet off and plug in washer to see if it smokes anyplace. If not put in water till it stops probably will not agitate or spin until you jump lid switch 2 wires not colored green. Let us know what you find out. Not a common problem with your washer.
1st there are 2 spring clips in front corners of console. Use a thin putty knife and slide it from front under console and push it back. when pushing back pull console toward you it will lift up and hinge back. Clip on each side. Unplug lid switch. 2 gold colored clamps in corners of cabinet take them off, cabinet will pull forward and off. Take off top of agitator there is a 7/16 bolt in there . remove agitator. under agitator is a plastic piece and spring clip take off. Take tub ring off. there is a nut with 4 slots in it. You can get a spanner wrench from appliance parts store or use a pipe wrench. Will have to hammer wrench to loosen nut. lift basket out. drive block is either stuck in basket or on shaft. When installing block be sure the tabs on shaft line up with slots in block. May have to hammer block down. Use block of wood so you don't mess up threads. I probably could of had it done by time I took to type this.

Old 12-14-13, 06:08 AM
B
Okay, so I removed the cabinet and jumped the lid switch (not green wire). I set to small load and filled the tub. Now when it fills, I just get a loud humming sound, but it will not agitate or spin. Whether on wash or spin cycle, it just hums. The hum is coming from the area where the motor is, not up at the timer. Also, after about 30 seconds, the humming stops.

Old 12-14-13, 07:00 AM
F
May be something jamming the pump. Pull pump from motor and see if motor will run with pump out of the way. Don't leave that motor humming, it can damage the capacitor and motor windings.

Eric

Old 12-14-13, 12:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 78 Upvotes on 71 Posts
Usually a sock stuck in pump, Be careful taking hoses off there is 20+ gallons of water in washer. Use a wet dry vacuum or dip water out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: