Whirlpool Conquest Ice Maker

Old 12-31-13, 02:23 PM
Received 9 Votes on 7 Posts
Whirlpool Conquest Ice Maker

Whirlpool Conquest side by side GD25DIXHW00 http://www.appliancepartspros.com/ic...25dixhw00.html

Ice Maker works but only fills the right most 2 ice cube slots. Therefore, I only make 2 cubes per cycle. Takes a while to replenish. Any thoughts on what to zero in on to replace?

Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-14, 07:04 AM
Running this through one more time in case it got lost in the holiday shuffle.

Old 01-03-14, 12:02 PM
Group Moderator
Received 419 Votes on 392 Posts
Hi

Have you tried changing the water filter ?
Does the door water dispenser appear to be working correctly ?

The ice maker uses a timed method for filling the tray. It's only like 4-5 seconds so if the water pressure is low or restricted you won't get enough water to make a full tray.

You may also have a fill valve problem although they rarely cause a partial fill issue.
Usually they just die and you get no water to the ice maker.

Old 01-03-14, 05:37 PM
The water fill on the front of the fridge has always been slow, from day one (have owned the fridge for 13 yrs). I always thought is was slow, but the filter is rated a .5 gal per min. At that rate it would still take a day and a half to fill a sports bottle. But has always been like that. The ice maker has never displayed this kind of result. Always performed like a champ. Is there a filter or something that I can "blow" out?

Old 01-04-14, 12:42 AM
Group Moderator
The water filter is pictorial number 29 in the following diagram.

Sears parts directl/Whirlpool-Parts/Model-GD25DIXHW00

Old 01-04-14, 09:12 AM
Water filter is not that old and I change it on a regular basis. Was wondering if there is a part that could be partially blocked on the icemaker itself that is slowing the flow. Fill tube comes out of the roof of the fridge above the maker, goes into a fill cup and can't really see anything else. Can I disconnect the tube on the back of the unit and blow it out with air? Or maybe use a turkey baster to introduce hot water to the fill cup?

Old 01-04-14, 12:15 PM
Group Moderator
The water comes in the back of the fridge on that short piece of white line. It then goes to the water filter cartridge. It leaves the filter and goes to the dual fill valve. One valve is for the ice maker and one is for the drinking water. That's it. There aren't any other things to clean.

Click on the pictorial for larger size.
Sears parts direct_png/PLDM/W0101026-00012.png

Old 03-27-14, 06:43 AM
Update, now it doesn't make ice at all.

I have cycled it on and off a couple of times and made sure the electronic eye is clear. This morning, fiddling with it, I got the rotating arm that ejects the ice to make a full spin as if the tray was ready to dispense. However, there is zero water/ice in the tray. Would this point to the dual fill valve or and iced up frozen line or just a dead unit? Water dispenser works fine.

Old 03-27-14, 12:08 PM
Group Moderator
Since there are two water fill solenoids.... we know the first one is ok as it supplies the ice maker and water dispenser.

There is a four wire cable connecting the ice maker to the fridge. You should see .....
white = neutral
green = ground
black = 120v
tan = fill valve.

You can unplug the ice maker and use a short piece of wire to short tan to black. That will manually open (activate) the fill valve.

Old 03-30-14, 01:34 PM
Thanks PJ -

Discovery 1 is that the fill tube was frozen at the ice maker where it comes out of the body (inside the fridge). I used a pair of pliers to crunch the tube clear. How far back would you say that the line probably is still frozen and suggestions on thawing. I could hold the visible portion of the fill tube in a cup of hot water, would that help?

Secondly, your previous recommendation, where should I be shorting tan to black? At the icemaker or at the fill tube/solonoid in the back of the fridge?

Old 03-30-14, 02:28 PM
Group Moderator
The fill tube goes thru the freezer into a rubber 90 and then travels down the outside back of the unit.

Short the black to tan at the ice maker location. Use the wire colors to the ice maker to ID which pins to short.

Old 03-30-14, 05:16 PM
Short Black to tan did turn the water to the icemaker on, so I guess the solenoid is working. The fill tube is another story.

Finally got it thawed out, but in the process ripped it. I assumed it was set up similar to the water line for filtered water that feeds through another tube so that change out is easy. This one did not follow that logic. In trying to wiggle it out, the portion in the freezer ripped. I'll have to run an exterior back up line and drill through the carcass to repair. Glad its my own fridge.

Anyway, waiting for the freezer to cycle to cold again to see if we can get the unit to make ice. Had the door open for an extended length of time.

Old 03-30-14, 05:44 PM
Group Moderator
Check out part #2 in diagram. Not much more than some tubing with a right angle.

12-Ice Maker, Optional parts for Whirlpool GD25DIXHW00 - Appliance Parts Pros

Old 03-30-14, 07:37 PM
I know, reviewed and determined that I could just pull it out. I was wrong. Now left with a stub at the ceiling level. Anyway, still waiting to see if any possible progress on making ice.

Old 04-01-14, 07:03 AM

We have achieved ice making - Thanks a ton PJ

Recap for others sharing the same frustration. I replaced the fill valves. The ice maker fill had a slow leak in it which continually fed very small amounts of water to the fill tube. When the water got to the freezer area, it froze. First is slowed the flow down so that only a couple of cubes were made at a time. Then is froze solid and cut off all supply.

Thawed the fill tube with a hair dryer - this step takes a while. I alternated heat and then blew into the tube from the rear of the fridge until the ice clog freed itself. Then jumped the fill valve (shorted tan and black) and let water run through the fill tube. Re assembled the ice maker and waited for the freezer to come back to temperature before testing. Overnight, have filled 3/4's of the ice bucket on the door.

As for the broken fill tube I had my wife push the tube from the back of the fridge while I pulled from the front and eventually it popped out. I pulled out enough to test the ice maker. I will order a new one and install later.

Again, may thanks.

Old 04-01-14, 11:55 PM
Group Moderator
Great news Plenty of ice and for all.