Electric Dryer - Roper REX6634PQ0 hums, does not start

Old 01-09-14, 09:50 AM
Electric Dryer - Roper REX6634PQ0 hums, does not start

Roper Electric Dryer model REX6634PQ0 - hums when switched on, drum does not move. If we keep dryer plugged in and EVEN when dryer knob is in OFF position, we hear something running like a running belt or fan etc. While plugged in, when we open the door, we see a light/filament burning inside the dryer and it gets warm as well.

Drum rotates when rotated by hand.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-14, 09:59 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Old 01-09-14, 10:54 AM
Sounds like a belt problem, possibly broken or has come off the idler. Motor must be running or it wouldn't heat. Check the belt.

Eric

Old 01-09-14, 04:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Here is how to check
UNPLUG DRYER FIRST

Take out lint screen and remove 2 screws there. Take a stiff putty knife and slide it between the top and front panel near the side and pry up on each side. Top will pop off clips holding down.(may have to use a little force) lift top up and lean back. look inside at front panel and find 2 screws holding on (near top on sides) pull up on front panel and will come off. Careful of wires to door unplug wires or just put it to the side. Hope this helps

Old 01-09-14, 07:30 PM
Opened the top panel of the Dryer and see that the belt looks ok, it is tight and am able to rotate drum. Now, should I look at motor or look at thermal fuse etc?

Old 01-09-14, 07:35 PM
Group Moderator
Look at motor. If the motor wasn't up to speed....... the heating element wouldn't come on. Make sure belt is actually on the pulley.

Old 01-09-14, 08:10 PM
Motor centrifugal mechanism may be stuck or motor switch contacts are welded shut. This would cause heat to come on when timer turned on and cause motor to hum but not start regardless of pressing start button. You say motor hums even when timer is in off position so you may have faulty timer as well. Opening door and seeing glow of heater also indicates that motor switch is stuck closed.

Old 01-10-14, 12:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Open door, hold door switch in, push start button and turn drum at same time, If starts you havre a bad motor, Takes 2 people to do.

Old 01-10-14, 03:59 AM
You say motor hums even when timer is in off position so you may have faulty timer as well. Opening door and seeing glow of heater also indicates that motor switch is stuck closed.
I don't think that is correct. We hear a humming sound when we put timer in any ON position but hear some other noise - like a running belt or fan etc when timer is in OFF position.

Also, heating element comes ON and I don't think I ever saw that glow before in the Dryer. Looking from the front, through the drum, this glow is on the left hand side coming behind from a metal strip with holes in it.

Old 01-10-14, 04:06 AM
Open door, hold door switch in, push start button and turn drum at same time, If starts you havre a bad motor, Takes 2 people to do.
I am not sure how to hold door switch in. Would appreciate if you could provide a bit more information on how to go about doing this. Thanks,

Old 01-10-14, 04:11 AM
Look at motor. If the motor wasn't up to speed....... the heating element wouldn't come on. Make sure belt is actually on the pulley
Ok. So just opening the top panel and looking at the drum from top is not enough then. I should open the front panel and look at the bottom where the belt sits on the pulley. Will do that.

Old 01-10-14, 04:31 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Just push the door button in with your finger. Is the hum coming from the top(control area) or low down (motor) ? Reach inside to turn drum. Dose it hum even when start button is not pushed?

Old 01-10-14, 06:24 AM
The problem is with the motor. Either the centrifugal mechanism is stuck or the motor switch contacts are welded closed. Not likely that both switch contacts are welded closed so more likely the centrifugal mechanism. The noise you hear with timer off is likely the timer motor as it will have power all the time with motor switch stuck on. Also, with motor switches on, motor cannot start and will just hum when timer is on, regardless of start button, and heat element will come on as soon as timer is on. You need to get to the motor to examine it. Look at the centrifugal mechanism disc. You should be able to operate it manually pushing it toward rear of motor. It should spring back when you release it.

Old 01-10-14, 06:44 AM
Here is another photo, this one being the motor that you have, the other photo was a different motor. You can see the centrifugal mechanism and the operating disc.

Eric

Old 01-10-14, 07:55 AM
Just push the door button in with your finger. Is the hum coming from the top(control area) or low down (motor) ? Reach inside to turn drum. Dose it hum even when start button is not pushed?
Finally got that. Was missing noticing the black door switch. So I set timer, pressed the black door switch and pressed the ON button and drum started rotating. So we put one load in the dryer and it seemed to work. After it stopped, we again have this issue of humming sound.

So did the above steps again and again dryer seems to be working. What could be wrong? I have opened only top panel so far and haven't looked at motor or anything else yet.

Old 01-10-14, 08:15 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Start windings in motor are bad you need a motor.

Old 01-10-14, 08:39 AM
Start windings in motor are bad you need a motor.
Right now, the dryer is running fine. The humming problem happens when we open the door mid-cycle and then close the door and press the ON button. As long as we are leaving the timer to complete the cycle, dryer seems to be running fine. Once current timer is done, we'll leave it as it for some time and then start the dryer again and see if we have the same problem.

Old 01-10-14, 08:45 AM
How did the motor start if the start windings are bad??? The motor is faulty because the switch's are not operating properly. Could just be that the centrifugal mechanism is gummed up and full of lint or the springs are broken or the switch operating lever is faulty. The motor needs to be checked out. It might just need cleaning, more likely needs to be replaced.

Old 01-10-14, 08:49 AM
So I will open the front panel and check out the motor. What exactly am I looking for? An earlier post suggested that I press the centrifugal mechanism disc to the rear of the motor and release. Will that help? If motor is gummed up will vacuuming help?

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Old 01-10-14, 08:52 AM
You really need to fix the problem. You have a potential hazard there. You said you opened the door and could see the glowing of the heater coils. This means your motor switch is faulty and can cause the heat to cycle on/off as long as dryer is plugged in even if timer is in off position. I wouldn't just let this slide just because you are able to get the thing running.

Old 01-10-14, 08:56 AM
Of course not. I am not going to let this slide. I am monitoring it closely. The glow of heater coil now goes away when I open the door, I see the glow and it diminishes quickly. And if motor needs to be replaced then so be it. There is no point in delaying if motor is bad or going bad.

Old 01-10-14, 08:58 AM
Operating the disc on the motor will test the centrifugal mechanism. When you release it, it should snap right back to the front of the motor. Unplug the motor wiring connector. Check continuity on the motor receptacle outermost terminals where the two red wires would connect. It should read infinity (open). Press and hold centrifugal disc and it should read 0 (zero) ohms.

Old 01-10-14, 09:02 AM
Sounds like centrifugal switch is working now. Check that both springs on the mechanism are good, one may be broken (see photo). Rotate motor shaft to bring other spring into view. You should be able to clean it up if it's just gummed up or full of lint.

Old 01-10-14, 10:15 AM
Did 3 loads without any issues now. Opened door mid-cycle and still no issues.
No humming,
no sound when timer is in OFF position
no heating element on when door is opened (we are going to let dryer cool down and check that it does cool down to ensure that heating element does not remain switched on even when timer is in OFF position)
clothes are getting dry properly

So will look at centrifugal switch tomorrow and let you know.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Old 01-12-14, 08:42 AM
Dryer worked fine yesterday with ONE issue, it would not start sometimes (I think about 3 out of 7 loads). In all 3 cases, took out the clothes from the dryer, opened the door, set the timer to a dry position, pressed the black door switch, rotated the drum then pressed the ON button. Drum started rotating. I then put all clothes in the dryer and in all the 3 times, dryer worked fine.

So should I still open the front panel and look at the motor?

Old 01-12-14, 08:51 AM
Group Moderator
Yes..... the problem is the same as it was before. You have a sticking switch or mechanism.
Normally the motor is not considered a user serviceable item beyond the centrifugal switch.

Old 01-12-14, 09:33 AM
Yes, I agree. You need to fix this. If it's not a lint buildup problem that is interfering with the centrifugal mechanism in the motor then you will probably have to replace the motor. Sometimes the stainless steel springs that operate the mechanism will cut into the aluminum centrifugal weights causing a reduced spring tension and can even cut all the way through and then you only have one spring operating the mechanism.

This is not something you want to ignore but if you intend to use the dryer this way, please unplug it when not in use. It is a hazard the way it is.

Old 01-12-14, 09:41 AM
ok, So the steps to follow is
Open front panel, take out drum and look at motor centrifugal mechanism specially the springs that you talked about in an earlier post. If one spring is broken then obviously replace motor.

If a spring not broken then I shall report here and we can take it from there.

Wife wanted to do another load first before I get my hands on the dryer. :-)

Yes that is what we did yesterday with all loads, we used dryer when we were around, kept an eye on the dryer, unplugged it at night and plugged back in this morning. Will unplug it whenever it is not in use and when we are out.

Old 01-12-14, 10:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Replace motor, you might be able to find switch

Old 01-12-14, 10:49 AM
Replace motor, you might be able to find switch
I'm afraid I did not understand what you meant by being "able to find switch".

Old 01-12-14, 02:36 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Switch usually comes part of motor don't know if you can get as a separate part/

Old 01-14-14, 07:08 AM
Opened the front panel, took out drum and belt. Cleaned a bit and see the motor.

Interesting - I see only one spring and not the other (I think fairbank56 alluded to this and if so, he was spot on).

So, now how to proceed?

Attached Images   
Old 01-14-14, 07:52 AM
You will have to replace the motor as the spring has cut through the aluminum retainer on the centrifugal weight. Even if you could find another spring, there is nothing left to attach it to.

Old 01-14-14, 08:02 AM
Here is photo of one without the lint. You can see that the spring is eating it's way through the aluminum retainer and will eventually fail. Bad design, common problem. You will have to replace the motor.

Old 01-15-14, 08:17 AM
thank you fairbank56. you have been spot on in your analysis.