Dishwasher Repair Question and Warranty Rant

Old 01-16-14, 12:52 PM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Wink Dishwasher Repair Question and Warranty Rant

First, a warning. Be careful who you buy from. ALways look into who honors the warranty and how it is honored. We bought a portable dishwasher from Amazon and it was delivered UPS and has worked great for 10 months, but then died on us a couple of days ago. The company SPT, or Sunpentown, will honor the warranty but it involves having to ship the dishwasher to them in California! Yes, it is on their dime, including the shipping, but I am still supposed to "find a box somewhere" to package it in before their freight service will pick it up. Then I will be without a dishwasher for however long it takes. So this is a LOT of inconvenience for something that can probably be fixed in 5 minutes so be warned!

As for the washer itself, it just stopped working in midcycle, leaving water on the bottom. My research tells me it is likely a thermal fuse but it could be other electrical problems and I don't have the experience or the means to test it. I did take the face off but could not identify anything that looked like the thermal fuses I saw on line for other name brands. My question is if I do decide to just pay my local repair guy, is he likely to have access to the right parts since it is not a major name brand like Whirlpool or Kenmore? Is it likely an easy problem to fix? THanks in advance!

Old 01-16-14, 02:00 PM
Received 648 Upvotes on 573 Posts
The seller is not being unreasonable in their request to have you properly box the unit for shipping. In fact I'm surprised they will carry the shipping cost. I think you are being a bit harsh in your warning about buying from Amazon.

To answer your question...its a 70-30 chance, if he's sharp. But I suspect he would be able to find some replacement if in fact its the thermal fuse. However, you're going to pay him at least as much as shipping the unit back to the supplier. And you won't know if he will in fact have the part. Or it may be more than just that needs to be repaired. If you send the unit back most likely they will send you a new unit as opposed to fixing the existing one. So you're without a dishwasher for maybe 10 to 14 days. So What. Ever hear of a sink and dish rag?
Plus it you will still have to pay for the part if the local repair can get it.
Save yourself a headache and send it back.

Old 01-16-14, 02:24 PM
T
Thank you for your thoughts Norm. I don't believe I was being harsh about Amazon. I was simply warning people to pay attention to how a warranty will be honored when choosing where to buy an item. If you buy an appliance from most brick and mortar retailers, the warranty is typically honored by having a repair guy come to the house, not by having to ship an oversized item away and doing without it for who knows how long. It's all a matter of preference and what is worth your while. I really don't feel like now having to find a way to box a dishwasher up for pickup by this freight company.

Old 01-16-14, 02:32 PM
T
And one other thought to consider when choosing an appliance. Make sure it's a name brand where repair parts are readily available! What happens when this dishwasher is off-warranty and it needs repair and like Norm said maybe the part isn't readily available?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: