Frigidaire French Door Ref two ice makers (messed up)

Old 02-13-14, 07:37 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Frigidaire French Door Ref two ice makers (messed up)

Frige is a little over a year old, has been worked on twice under warranty before warranty expired.
Within last month the lower ice maker quit! Arm is down no ice!
Within last week or so the top ice maker is making a mess inside. All the cubes are not falling and then when it begins to refill it runs into the ice bin(since some cubes are still hanging) and freezes the auger to the cubes. in the bin.

Cooling and freezing as it shoud be even though i always complained it was not nearly as cold as the digital door display by atleast 4-5 degress but its always had that issue. They replaced the main board and everything else about 6 months ago but never resolved that issue.It was making ice fine then anyway.

Please help as im going to make the repairs myself.....im guessing the control board?

thanks
mack

Sponsored Links
Old 02-14-14, 02:34 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Post model # and the refer guys can help.

Old 02-14-14, 05:14 AM
M
Model LGUB2642LE3 Frigidaire...........thanks in advance if anyone could help

Old 02-14-14, 10:34 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Two ice makers ...... one in the refrigerator ??

Ice makers can be quirky and sometimes difficult to service.

The following link has a video in it where they discuss the servicing, or at least how to access, the fridge ice maker. The ice maker part # 243297603.
Frigidaire 243297603 Icemaker Gen Ii Com - Appliance Parts Pros

The other one that is not fully harvesting the cubes sounds like it might be a problem with the mold heater. When the machine goes to harvest it heats the bottom of the tray so that the cubes just fall out. That ice maker part # 5303918493 The link below is the exploded parts view.
Sears parts direct-model/Frigidaire-LGUB2642LE3

Old 02-14-14, 01:11 PM
M
pictures of ice makers and problem

here are pics, the lower ice maker or some unkown reason began working last night, see ice!
The only thing i did was enter the service test and ran some of the tests like 58c etc.
the upper ice maker still is making a huge mess see pics.

Attached Images      
Old 07-07-14, 10:01 PM
V
i know this thread is a few months old... but just wanted to say that the last pic,
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/at...-ice-maker.jpg

shows something wrong... the little dangling rectangular thing is the defroster for the ice tray. it looks like it is caught by the ice detection arm, it is supposed to be mounted unter the ice tray, with a couple of zip ties.... looks like you may have broken it off some time ago...

that would also explain the clumping in the box, if the defroster is hanging down in the dropped ice, it will melt the ice when it is supposed to melt the tray (to release the new ice)

just thought i'd chime in, since im having issues with my same ice maker not making ice....

Old 10-05-14, 09:15 AM
B
I'm having the same issue with the ice tray defroster just hanging down into the bin. Where does it get zip tied to? I can't seem to figure that out.

Thanks.
Brandon

Old 10-05-14, 09:35 AM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

That white thing hanging down is a temperature thermistor. It's job is to read temperature and keep that area close to 0. I've always seen them hanging.... not sure if there is something to tie it to. If it has a flat side then it was probably self stuck to the plastic side of the fridge.

It's not a tray heater. The tray heater is built into the metal ice tray mold.

Old 10-05-14, 05:22 PM
B
Thanks for the clarification. Back to the drawing board Mine is clumping regularly. I've tried thawing everything inside the ice make but no luck.

Old 10-05-14, 06:50 PM
Group Moderator
After you unthaw everything...... see if it makes cube normally again. If the cubes are small or hollow then you aren't getting enough water to the tray. If the fill valve is leaking you will usually get a frozen block around the fill tube area.

Old 10-06-14, 05:48 AM
B
The cubes do look normal after all is thawed out. After a day or so they begin clumping....maybe a some water is leaking into the tray?

Old 10-06-14, 02:16 PM
B
I ended up scheduling a service visit for the ice maker. From the sounds of it after speaking with several appliance repairs folks in the area, it's a very common issue with this model line....lucky me.

I also spoke to frigidaire and they said if I continue to have issues after the repair to contact them for possible reimbursement.

Old 10-06-14, 04:53 PM
Group Moderator
Is the fridge under warranty or extended warranty ?
Usually when factory service gets involved it's a swap out of the entire ice maker.

Please keep us posted on the outcome.

Old 10-13-14, 07:21 PM
B
Update:
Authorized frigidaire repair guy came today. Replaced gaskets/seals in icemaker due to them leakng which caused the fan to freeze up.

$170

Frigidaire told me next time if I have issues to contact them and they "may" help out with the cost.

Old 10-13-14, 08:27 PM
Group Moderator
Gasket and seals in the freezer or the ice maker ?

I haven't heard of a repair like that.

Yeah.... they're real sports at Frigidaire.

Old 10-14-14, 05:33 AM
B
It's specifically a frigidaire icemaker gasket kit.....looking at the package right now.

Old 10-14-14, 08:16 AM
Group Moderator
I wasn't thinking of ice thru the door. That kit you got wasn't for the ice maker it was for the ice chute flapper in the door.

Old 10-23-14, 08:15 PM
B
Well the gasket kit didn't work at all. Next step, new ice maker unit. I ordered a new oem one online. I partially watched the tech remove mine so in hoping its easy enough to do myself. Just I case, anyone have a video or directions on how to remove it?

It's the French door model with the icemaker in the top fresh food section. Not he freezer is the lower half,

Thanks.

Old 10-23-14, 09:03 PM
Group Moderator
Go back to post 4 and click on the upper parts link I posted. Once there go to just below the picture of the part and click on "repair video"

See if that helps you.