Kenmore Elite top load grinding in drain cycle (after replacing tranny)

Old 02-15-14, 11:47 AM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Elite top load grinding in drain cycle (after replacing tranny)

Hello,

I've been having some issues with my washer for awhile now, and I've been able to make a bunch of repairs with the help of many of the past posts on this forum. I've gotten to a point now where I can't find any info to help.

Backstory: washer was having difficulty draining all the water from heavy loads (wasn't spinning fast enough). Gradually it got worse and worse, and eventually just gave up draining water at all. Took the thing apart, found the motor coupling was busted. Replaced that part, noticed that during wash cycle, the lower agitator was just spinning around in a circle (not agitating back and forth). I could also manually backdrive the agitator in a circle by hand to a loud clicking sound. It was fine if there was no load (ie, no water), and if I took the agitator out, the drive shaft would go back and forth. Ultimately, I decided the transmission was busted. Being mechanically inclined, I was going to tear into the tranny and buy only the parts I needed, but took the easy way out and just bought a new gearbox (NEW, not rebuilt) - came in a sealed FSP box.

In addition to replacing the gearbox, I also put in a brand new clutch and replaced the plastic part that interfaces between the clutch and brake. Slapped everything back together, and the wash cycle worked great - the washer hummed like a baby and the agitator did it's thing (lower part oscillated back and forth, the upper goes around clockwise).

When it came time to drain, I noticed a fairly loud "grinding" sound, though it was draining water just fine, so the pump was okay. I opened the lid, didn't notice anything stuck. Closed the lid, and instantly it started draining again, but without the grinding sound. Assuming everything was fine, I let it be. Next round of laundry - same problem. This time I noticed, that while it's making the grinding noise and draining, that the basket and agitator were stationary, not moving at all. When I opened and closed the lid and the sound went away, I noticed then that the agitator and basket started spinning together, slowly, until it got kicked into high spin mode.

Other than this, the washer is working better than ever, the clothes aren't dripping wet anymore, they are damp and ready for the drier. I just don't get what could be wrong now. I tried to replicate the issue by running only water through on the smallest load setting - it does still happen.

I should note that I also replaced the lid switch - as I was doing the initial teardowns, I tried to take it out and cracked the spring clip portion that holds it in place. I don't believe this is the source of the problem, I have verified that the switch is working properly as I open and close the lid (it stops/starts as expected during both the agitate and spin cycles).

Appreciate any help or pointing in the right direction!

Chris

Old 02-15-14, 02:13 PM
C
I posted a video (Feb 15, 2014 - YouTube). I jumpered the lid switch so you could see the interior while it runs. (I took this in landscape, not sure why it posted it vertically!). Indeed the basket spins about 2 mins after the drain cycle. At the end, I also included a clip about 30 sec long to show what happens if I interrupt the lid switch while it's making the noise during the drain cycle.

To me, the noise sounds like a bad one... But maybe it's normal? I read something direct drive vs neutral in regards to the transmission. Would this possibly be related to that, if I installed the opposite transmission than what this model washer was designed for? Or am I worried about nothing?

Thanks again!
Chris

Old 02-15-14, 02:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Looks like the gearcase is not going out of agitate. Don't know how that happened. Have never seen that before and been working on them for over 10 years. I personally don't rebuild gearcases not sure how it could happen.

Old 02-15-14, 06:36 PM
F
What do you mean by that? I don't see it agitating while draining.

Old 02-15-14, 07:15 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Toward the end of clip when it was spinning the agitator was agitating.

Old 02-15-14, 07:48 PM
F
I don't see it. What is the exact time frame in the video that you see that? I think it probably just appears that way to you due to the interaction of the frame rate of the camera and the rpm of the agitator while it's spinning.

Old 02-16-14, 03:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
looked at it again and see what you are talking about. I was wrong just way clip looks.
cmwerner did you put horseshoe clip on top of gearcase and the washer on top of that? When you installed the plastic piece in brake did you release brake and push it back up in place? brake will drop down a 1/4 to 1/2 inch and possibly make that noise. forget what I said earlier just way video looked to me.On drive coupler did you drive both plastic pieces in flush with shafts?
Fairbanks can you think of anything else? Not a common noise to me.

Old 02-16-14, 05:36 AM
F
"...did you put horseshoe clip on top of gearcase and the washer on top of that? When you installed the plastic piece in brake did you release brake and push it back up in place? brake will drop down a 1/4 to 1/2 inch and possibly make that noise"

None of those parts are moving while washer is in neutral drain so they can't be making the noise.

Old 02-16-14, 08:45 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
None of those parts are moving while washer is in neutral drain so they can't be making the noise.
Correct.... which points to a possible defective transmission.

Old 02-16-14, 11:08 PM
C
All, thanks for the feedback so far. I believe that I assembled everything properly. I've got a new gear case coming tomorrow so this should help suss out if it's a transmission problem or something else. I'll follow up with what I find....

Old 02-18-14, 11:06 AM
C
Just a quick update.. Installed a new transmission and the sound has subsided. Guess the first one I got was defective. Thanks all!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: