Kenmore freezer freezes like a rock

Old 03-06-14, 01:48 PM
A
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenmore freezer freezes like a rock

Make/model: Kenmore 106.54616300 side-by-side refrigerator/freezer

I see posts about similar problems, but nothing that seems exactly like my problem.

Recently, and very suddenly, the freezer side of the unit began freezing things like a rock. Clearly the temperature in there has dropped, but the freezer temp adjustment (in the refrigerator side) shows no change. It was set to 0, and the fridge temp to 40. I tried increasing the freezer temp by 5 degrees F about 24 hours ago, but it made no difference. It seems like the freezer doesn't know when it has hit the target temp and just keeps going.

The unit has always had an issue with freezing vegetables in the bottom drawer of the refrigerator side, but the "produce/meats" slider between the freezer and refrigerator compartments is stuck (probably frozen) and I've never made the time to unstick it. About the same time the freezer side started "overperforming" this problem got worse, which makes sense if the temp in the freezer compartment has dropped and the slider is stuck in the open position. Otherwise, no problems on the fridge side.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 03-07-14, 12:09 AM
Group Moderator
Received 3,158 Likes on 2,838 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I would start by putting a thermometer in the freezer. "Like a rock" doesn't help much.
Also try turning down the fridge temp and see if it affects the freezer as well as the fridge.

This fridge uses an electronic control system that operates a damper and the evaporator fan.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: