Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Household Cleaning, Kitchen Appliance Service and Repairs > >Electric< Large Kitchen and Home Appliances
Reload this Page >

Whirlpool GD5THG side-by-side fridge & freezer leaking internally and externally

Whirlpool GD5THG side-by-side fridge & freezer leaking internally and externally

Old 03-13-14, 08:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Fridge was left by previous home owners. They had mentioned there was a possible problem with the ice maker but didn't give any other details.

The unit was working fine and we finally decided to try hooking up the water line to see if the ice maker did in fact work. It seemed to work fine but, within a couple weeks, we noticed that a lot of frost was building up on the bottom shelves of the freezer. We would also notice that the bottom shelves of our fridge were very wet, like someone had spilled cups of water all over them. We don't remember these problems before we hooked up the water line.

More recently, we sometimes have water on the floor, and it appears to be coming from the freezer side. I turned off the water line last night but there was still water on the floor this afternoon. We have hardwood floors, so we definitely want to get this fixed ASAP. Thanks in advance for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-14, 08:43 PM
Group Moderator
Received 416 Votes on 389 Posts
The problem sounds more like the condensate line from the evaporator to the drip pan under the fridge is plugged. This is a fairly common problem.

When the freezer defrosts..... the water runs down a small plastic tube and ends up in a pan under the fridge. The heat of the condenser coil under the fridge evaporates the water.

You can remove the cover over the coil in the freezer to locate the drain line.

The model number you posted is only a partial number. I'd need the complete number to help you further.

Old 03-13-14, 08:54 PM
Sorry, there were two stickers in the fridge. The complete model number should be:

GD5THGXKS01

Old 03-13-14, 10:32 PM
Group Moderator
I'm having a problem accessing the exploded views. I'll try again later.

Old 03-15-14, 12:02 PM
Thank you very much for helping me out. Any luck with the exploded views? Is it a public website I can try to access?

Old 03-15-14, 01:37 PM
Group Moderator
I was trying to find the view with the drain but it seems to be evading me. In the following link you'll see the cover (#17) that needs to be removed. The drain will be at the bottom of the coil. Click on full size under the illustration for it to open in a full page. Click on the new pic for exploded view.

Sears parts online / Model # GD5THGXKS01

Old 03-17-14, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the link. I've been doing some reading on clogged lines and many of the websites (none specific to my model fridge) talk about going from either the front or the back of the fridge, where the compressor is. The exploded view looks like inside the freezer, though. I just wanted to confirm with you that I have the right location before I start disassembling things. Should I be taking the cover off the back and looking for the end of the drain in the compressor area, or should I be going through the inside of the freezer and looking for a clog there?

Old 03-17-14, 09:51 PM
Group Moderator
It's best to start by unplugging the fridge. Now would be a good time to plan on cleaning the fridge and freezer out.

Remove the cover over the coil in the freezer. The drain line starts there and could just be iced over. Some drain lines go thru the back wall of the fridge and down the back. I can't tell on yours. Usually the clog in the drain is at the top end. A syringe with hot water is good to have handy. Some bleach thru the drain after it's unclogged is also good.

All this water will collect in a pan down the bottom near the compressor.

Old 03-20-14, 12:20 AM
Thank you very much for the directions! I'll let you know how it turns out.

Old 04-01-14, 11:28 PM
Finally got around to doing this and you were exactly right, the drain hole, pan, and the lowest basket were all completely plated and encased in ice. Thank you very much for the help!

By the way, any tips on preventing this from happening again? I'm worried that the fact it happened once might be a sign it'll happen again and again in the future.

Old 04-01-14, 11:38 PM
Group Moderator
At my house, once a year, I remove all the food from my fridge and pack it in coolers. I pull the unit away from the wall and vacuum underneath, cleaning the coils and the fan. I fully clean the inside and flush the drain with hot (not boiling) water and a few drops of bleach. A cup or two of water is plenty.

Mine has never clogged.

Old 04-02-14, 12:02 AM
Thank you very much, we'll try doing that from now on.