Kenmore Refrigerator not cooling

Old 03-31-14, 02:08 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Refrigerator not cooling

I have a Kenmore refrigerator that stopped cooling.
I replaced the starter relay (PTC 1108190) with a generic part and it started cooling again. However the "fix" only lasted for about 2 days.
Is the problem because I used the wrong starter relay ? I do not know what makes one PTC relay different from another one.
Is the problem somewhere other than the start relay ?

How do I diagnose please ?

Old 03-31-14, 05:20 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,922 Upvotes on 3,518 Posts
Is the problem somewhere other than the start relay ?
The start relay needs to engage the run relay.

What is the problem...... is the compressor not running ?
Is the condensor (lower) fan running?

Check for 120vac at the compressor.

Old 03-31-14, 05:26 PM
H
The fan is running. The compressor is very hot to the touch.
I replaced the starter relay on the side of the compressor and it started working again. It worked for about 2 days and now does not work anymore. There is a lot of water at the bottom of the freezer section that flows out of the fridge.

I think the compressor is getting power because its hot and was cooling.

Old 03-31-14, 06:01 PM
Group Moderator
I think the compressor is getting power because its hot and was cooling.
So the compressor is running now ? If the larger line connected to the compressor is cold then it is running.

If it's hot and the line is not cold.... the compressor is stalled and should be cutting out on thermal overload. Was the old start relay defective..... burned or in pieces ?

You replaced it with a generic part...... similar design but not a factory part ?
I only use the factory parts in that application.

Old 03-31-14, 06:10 PM
H
PJMax,

I am getting the factory part, but its not available until Thursday.
I cannot hear the compressor going but that may be because it quieter than the fan ? I know that Ice was made after replacing the relay.
The relay looks fine and the resistance is OK. Its not shorted or open circuit. The thermal sensor is not open either. The relay does not rattle when shaken but I assume its bad because ice was made after I changed it.

There was a lot of water at the bottom of the freezer. Should this water be there or is it supposed to be evaporated and any excess drop to the bottom ?

Old 04-01-14, 12:00 AM
H
The compressor is running again but its running pretty hot to the touch. Is this normal ? Its cooling OK but I suspect that it will cut out again as before since it seems too hot.The model I have is a Kenmore Side by Side model number 10657572790

Old 04-01-14, 12:39 AM
Group Moderator
Water drains into lower area when unit defrosts.

Compressors run pretty hot. Make sure coils underneath are clean, the fan is running and any air shrouds should be in place to help direct the air.

Old 04-01-14, 06:34 AM
H
Thanks PJmax. The reason I was pointing to a hot compressor was simply because the power to it gets cutoff after a couple of days somehow and I cannot see the reason. The fan is running and the coils are clean. I measured 147 Volts on the relay terminal, so the power is going to the compressor OK. Is there a thermal fuse inside the compressor ? The one connected near the relay seems to be OK -- not sure how to test it or what temp its supposed to cut off.

Old 04-01-14, 04:51 PM
Group Moderator
Usually a problem compressor will not run several days and cut out.
Your compressor may have an internal thermal shut off.

Did you check the voltage to the compressor to see if it's present and the compressor isn't running ?
Does the compressor cycle or does it seem to be always running ?
Does the fridge cool properly being set at the thermostat setting it's always been at ?

Do you have an amprobe or can you borrow one. Checking the current draw on the compressor will tell you immediately if it's drawing too much.

Old 04-03-14, 01:00 PM
H
I found the freezer off today. The fan at the back was not running and there was no power to the compressor. The light was on inside the unit. The thermal sensor at the compressor and the start relay are new. Compressor seems to cool fine. What in the unit is capable of cutting the power off to the cooling components and then not coming back on ? The temp control switch is set to the correct position. Is this an issue with the thermistor ? If so, how can I check.
Does anybody have a schematic ?

Last edited by hitechseeker; 04-03-14 at 02:23 PM.
Old 04-13-14, 10:37 AM
H
I replaced the started relay and the thermal cutoff, cleaned all the coils etc. Finally replaced the thermostat to get it working.
Thanks for your help and suggestions. I know it very difficult to troubleshoot from a distance.

Old 04-13-14, 05:33 PM
Group Moderator
Glad you got it working. Thanks for letting us know how you made out.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: