Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Household Cleaning, Kitchen Appliance Service and Repairs > >Electric< Large Kitchen and Home Appliances
Reload this Page >

Washing machine only dispenses hot water and only in "wash" cycle (not rinse)

Washing machine only dispenses hot water and only in "wash" cycle (not rinse)

Old 04-24-14, 10:53 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Washing machine only dispenses hot water and only in "wash" cycle (not rinse)

Hi all-
I have a strange problem with my top-load washer/dryer combo. I came home last night and put a load of laundry in on the cold/cold cycle. When I started the machine, it hummed (indicating it was on), but no water came out. I flipped the dial to the other settings (warm/cold, hot/cold, warm/warm), and water came out on all 3, but only piping hot water. Mine mixes cold/hot water for warm cycles, which make sense if the cold wasn't working.

I pulled the front panel off and reached back to check the spigots to make sure they were open (they are). I really, really needed to do laundry, so I let the machine fill with hot water (set on the warm/warm cycle) and let it cool off overnight, then restarted it this morning.

When it ticked over to "rinse," no water came out, despite it being on a warm rinse cycle. WEIRD. I turned the dial back to "wash," and hot water came out as it had the night before.

To get around the issue, I let it fill with hot water again and will "wash" (rinse) it tonight, then skip to the spin cycle.

I have absolutely no idea what's causing this. The only anomaly is that the county shut off the water to my building for about 1/2 hour on Tuesday to do maintenance work, and it was working perfectly before they did that. My neighbor's machine is working fine, though.

Thoughts?

Old 04-24-14, 11:23 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
First you need to make sure you are getting water to the machine. Since the water was shut off then turned back on, they may have knocked a bunch of crud loose in the piping. Your water heater may have acted somewhat like a filter by letting the junk settle to the bottom. The cold water has no such "filter".

Turn off the cold water valve and remove the hose from the back of the machine. Aim it in a bucket and crack the valve open to check for flow. Also check the screens, either in the ends of the hose or in the connection at the washer. They can get clogged easily from junk in the lines.

Old 04-24-14, 11:33 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks Vic!! Mine's in a closet space, so pulling the hoses off will require moving the machine... I'll have someone help me do that this weekend.

Old 04-24-14, 11:53 AM
Super Moderator
Received 4 Votes on 4 Posts
Ahhh yes, those lovely machines installed in a closet. Even more fun when they're and over and under combo unit.

If you can reach the valve, you could pull the hose off there, but it won't tell you very much.

Old 04-24-14, 03:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 75 Votes on 68 Posts
2 Things when you have washer out there is a screen in the cold water valve, take it out and clean it. Put it back in. The rinse cycle works on cold water, while the washer is out if hoses are over 5 years old replace them also before you put washer back in try the cold water to see if it works. If not you will have to replace the valve.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: