RCA fridge cooling issue

Old 05-12-14, 01:05 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question RCA fridge cooling issue

I will say since RCA did not make it (not sure who) it's no big deal if it no longer works..

But here is what happens.. For like the first 24-48 hours it will bring the temp down to around 40F or so.. but after that it no longer really cools and ice will melt in the freezer and the fridge compartment will warm up to 50F and the fridge will run 24/7 without turning off.

What is the cause of that? As in how can it cool but then just stops and then runs 24/7?

Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-14, 03:52 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Post model # we can look it up and maybe help.

Old 05-12-14, 04:12 PM
M
No big deal if it wont work we have a spare just curious why it's like that.

Model: MTX21DAZBRWW

Old 05-12-14, 05:49 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,109 Votes on 1,029 Posts
If the compressor runs 24/7 then it's not a thermostat problem.

You've got an older old fashioned fridge. No electronic control board to worry about.

Have you cleaned/vacuumed under the fridge ? Be sure to vacuum the fan down there and make sure it's actually working. The fridge removes heat from the inside of the box and blows it out thru the bottom. If it can't get rid of heat..... you won't get cooling.

Another problem is the evaporator coil in the freezer. If everything down below is clean and working then you need to check for two things.... the coil freezing up or the fan near the coil that moves the air not working.

Old 05-16-14, 03:06 PM
M
Sorry for the delay.. I cleaned the coils under the fridge but here is what I noticed.. the freezer part blows pretty strong but the fridge part hardly any air blows into the compartment.

Old 05-16-14, 06:14 PM
Group Moderator
Did you verify that the fan under the fridge was operating ?

When you had it unplugged.... then plugged it back in.... was the airflow in the fridge stronger ? If the air is blowing strong in the freezer then it should stay cold but it's not.
I would remove the cover over the coil in the freezer and see if the coil is icing up.

Old 05-16-14, 06:24 PM
M
yes the fan was turning, it never had any issues with that.. and the airflow inside both compartments did not change.

Old 05-17-14, 12:26 AM
Group Moderator
It sounds like a refrigerant issue but normally it wouldn't work fine for a few days and then stop cooling properly. That leaves us with a coil icing issue.... possibly due to a defrost problem.

Old 06-21-14, 08:15 AM
M
Sorry for the long delay So here is how it is.. the freeze temp is 40F and the fridge is around 60F hardly any airflow comes in the fridge part but the freezer part is stronger.

So where do I go from here now that I cleaned the coils but I haven't looked at the freezer coils yet.

Old 06-21-14, 11:52 AM
Group Moderator
Originally you said airflow was good and now not so good in the fridge.

The first step I would make is to check the coil in the freezer for ice blockage. If the coil gets iced it will restrict air flow.

Old 06-21-14, 12:16 PM
M
The coil is not iced up at all, the airflow is still not great it has a split duct to adjust the flow between the freezer and fridge by a dial, if you cut the flow to the freezer then you have more air blowing into the freezer.. it's still not cold and the freezer does not freeze anything.. the fridge runs non stop (at least 5 days now)

I took the panel off in the freezer and the fan runs and the coils are not iced over.

Old 06-21-14, 12:31 PM
Group Moderator
You've got everything cleaned and the compressor is running non stop only leaves a refrigerant issue. It's either low on charge or some time of blockage in the sealed system.