Whirlpool Top Mount Freezer not cold enough

Old 05-19-14, 01:24 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Whirlpool Top Mount Freezer not cold enough

Hello,

I have a Whirlpool Top Mount Freezer/Refrigerator Model ER8AHMXRL01 and the freezer starting warming over the winter time this past season. Note that the unit is located in an insulated garage, with garage heater, but the heater is not always on so there are temperature fluctuations. As of now, the garage is consistently 75 degrees.

The Refrigerator portion maintains 39 degrees but the freezer will not go below 5 or 6 degrees F. It used to maintain 0 F.

I am using a fridge thermometer for measurements.

Steps Taken:

I removed everything from the freezer and fridge, unplugged the unit, and left the doors open for 4 hours in case there was a defrost issue. Cleaned the unit, closed the doors, and plugged back in. No change.

Any suggestions will help. I normally would not be concerned but we are getting a shipment of meat and I do not want to risk it going bad.

Thanks,

Ahavis

Sponsored Links
Old 05-19-14, 09:26 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,109 Votes on 1,029 Posts
Four hours is not a lot of time to defrost a badly iced evaporator coil. Have you checked the coils under the fridge to make sure they are clean and the fan is running down there ?

On that unit..... the refrigerator temperature control controls the compressor and how cold the entire box is. The freezer temperature control is an air door that allows air to flow into the fridge. If you set the freezer control to colder..... the freezer should get colder and the fridge should get warmer.

Old 05-20-14, 07:25 PM
A
Thank you for your response. I see one temp control dial in the fridge and it does not specify fridge or freezer. It ranges from 0 off, 3 cold, and 5 coldest.

Is that controlling the compressor or the trap door in the freezer? I have it set to 5 coldest and the freezer is at 4 to 6 degrees. I just set it to 1 to see what happens overnight.

I will check the coils underneath and make sure the fan is running sometime tomorrow. Will repost then. Thanks again.

Old 05-20-14, 09:09 PM
Group Moderator
It ranges from 0 off, 3 cold, and 5 coldest.
If you were to turn that off it should turn the compressor and fans off.

Old 05-21-14, 02:36 PM
A
Yes, when I turned it off, the compressor and fan shut off.

I went out today and vacuumed the back of the unit, and checked the fan. The fan runs when the compressor turns on. I also used compressed air to blow off the compressor and all components as they were very dusty.

Kicked the dial to 5 and will check on it in an hour or so to see if there is any change after cleaning the unit. Will post this evening. Go Blackhawks.

Old 05-21-14, 05:29 PM
A
Checked it, no change in the freezer temp, still 4 to 6 degrees. The fridge is still at 39 degrees. Any tips on the next place to check is appreciated.

Thanks,

Ahavis

Old 05-22-14, 12:07 AM
Group Moderator
Setting the thermostat to 5 or the coldest setting should have brought the fridge and freezer both down. Does it appear that the compressor is always running ?

Old 05-22-14, 10:50 AM
A
Hi,

Thank you for responding. The compressor seems to be operating normally. Kicks on to cool the unit then stays off for a while until it needs to kick on again.

Ahavis

Old 05-25-14, 07:04 AM
A
Hi... can anyone help with a next step in trouble shooting?

Old 05-25-14, 08:39 AM
Group Moderator
You set the thermostat to maximum and the unit did not get any colder. I would replace the thermostat. The part # 2325701.

The link below is just one place of many to get it from.
Temperature Control Thermostat 2325701 - 365 day return policy Repair Clinic

Old 05-25-14, 01:35 PM
A
If i set the unit to 3 on the dial, the freezer will maintain 10 degrees F. If i set it to max which is 5, the unit will maintain 5 degrees F. Knowing this, would you still recommend replacing the thermostat? Thanks.