Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Household Cleaning, Kitchen Appliance Service and Repairs > >Electric< Large Kitchen and Home Appliances
Reload this Page >

Frigidaire Freezer (not combination, just freezer) not making ice cubes again...

Frigidaire Freezer (not combination, just freezer) not making ice cubes again...

Old 05-21-14, 06:51 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

I rummaged in here, but didn't see quite this situation......

We have a Frigidaire Professional series refrigerator and freezer. These are 17 cu ft units that are built-in.

Last summer we left for a week and turned off the water to the house. When we returned, the ice maker in the freezer (normal maker that sits in the corner of the top and dumps cubes in a bucket every so often) didn't work. We pulled the freezer and determined that the solenoid was working and that the fill hose wasn't frozen. Finally decided the motor in the ice maker wasn't working and replaced the unit - it was cheaper to put in a new $45 ice maker than to fiddle with parts to try and fix the old one...

It's worked perfectly ever since........

Last Friday we left town for 4 days and again turned off the water to the house. Intended to lift the arm on the ice maker to it wouldn't run but forgot. Came back, and AGAIN we have no ice being made.....

As near as I can tell, there's no water in the ice maker. As near as I can tell, the feed hose isn't frozen, but we haven't gone through the major pain in the neck of pulling the unit out again, yet...

Can someone tell me how the process of this ice maker works? I know at some point it turns on the solenoid to fill the tray, but how does it know when it's time to dump the ice cubes? And is there SOMETHING in there that burns out when it runs with no water? As in, are WE causing the ice maker to fail by shutting off the water? Or, are there things in the unit I can check to figure out what's going on? I saw mention of a thermostat somewhere, but not what it's supposed to do...

Anyhow, I'm trying to figure out what's going on rather than replacing the whole unit again, so if anyone can point me to exactly how these things work and what can fail, it'd be useful.

thanks...

Sponsored Links
Old 05-21-14, 11:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,109 Votes on 1,029 Posts
A model number of your fridge would help a bit.

The thermostat monitors the temperature of the ice tray. When the tray temp gets low enough it triggers the thermostat to start a harvest. The mechanism starts, the ice tray heater comes on, the rake comes around and pushes the cubes out. The rake parks and the timer activates the fill valve for 5 or so seconds. Now the tray is at +/- 70 degrees depending on incoming water temp. The water chills, freezes, the tray temp lowers and the cycle starts again.

When the tray doesn't fill with water the cycles occur quicker since the tray gets colder faster with no water in it.

Make sure freezer is between 0-5 degrees.

What can fail..... the thermostat, the tray heater, the timer motor(typical) the fill valve.

Old 05-22-14, 04:38 PM
D
I figured ice making was pretty much universal, so I got lazy and didn't get the model. It's a PLFU1778ES7.

I found a note somewhere that said it was possible for the water in the fill line to freeze, so I'll try to make sure that's not blocked.

Yes, the freezer typically runs between -3 and +5 degrees F.

If necessary, we can put a platform in front and slide the freezer out. That's what we did last year. Then put power on the solenoid to verify tht it was working. At that point, it was cheaper to replace the ice maker than to replace individual parts.......

Is there any way to force the unit to go through a cycle so I can see if things are working? Check the thermostat? What else can I test?

I just unplugged the unit, filled the tray with water, and plugged it back in. I'm hoping that wakes it up and gets it to do it's thing.

Old 05-22-14, 04:58 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,109 Votes on 1,029 Posts
That's actually a good idea. It should harvest quickly. Let me know what happens.

Old 06-02-14, 03:09 AM
D
Frozen water line..........

Put water in the ice maker and it harvested but didn't refill. So, I pushed a long tie wrap up the tube and it stopped about 2.5 - 3 inches in. So, frozen NOT at the end where you can see it, but up inside the tube where you can't.

Took a hair drier and spent 5 minutes or so thawing the water line, and it's working fine now.

Unfortunately, it means any time we leave for a period and turn off the water, we may return to a frozen fill line. Next time I'll try unplugging the ice maker to see if that keeps it from freezing... Why it would, I have no idea, but it's an easy thing to try...