Kenmore Dryer Issue - Heats but does not start - Possible overheating?

Old 05-25-14, 07:51 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Dryer Issue - Heats but does not start - Possible overheating?

Hello all,

Last week my Kenmore 110 dryer stopped spinning. It would heat up, but the motor did not start. The belt was fine, so I replaced the thermal fuse.

This fixed the problem, temporarily. It might have fixed it tooooo well, as we ran a load on high and the clothes were very hot. We wrote it off as though the dryer runs like a beast on high, and proceeded as if the issue was resolved.

Today, we go to throw clothes in the dryer, and once again it's not starting. I'm worried that it may be overheating now, but I was hoping that someone else might be able to lend their expertise and provide a more specific answer as to what the issue may be, and any possible solutions?

Please let me know if there are any more details I can provide...

Thank you!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-25-14, 08:07 AM
F
Need the full model number. Dryer should not produce heat if motor doesn't run. May have a faulty motor switch but need that model number.

Old 05-25-14, 08:48 AM
M
110.61202010 is the model number. Perhaps I'm not using the correct terminology when I say the motor is not starting. The dryer heats up, but it does not spin. Seems like I blew the thermal fuse again, due to overheating?

Old 05-25-14, 03:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Replace thermo fuse again and than clean vent to the outside, Vent is clogged and reason for overheating and blown thermo fuse. To check disconnect vent at back of dryer and turn on, feel air flow,reconnect vent turn on and feel air flow outside, should be the same. Not sure why it heated with drum turning, Dryer has switch in motor to stop heating if not running.

Old 05-25-14, 03:55 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,109 Votes on 1,029 Posts
That's a Whirlpool machine. There is a centrifugal motor starting switch that is activated once the motor is spinning. If the motor isn't spinning there is no blower and the heating element should not be activated.

If the heating element is on and the motor is not it will overheat due to no air movement.
My guess would be defective centrifugal switch assembly.