maytag washer : funny noise in spin cycle

Old 05-30-14, 03:26 PM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
maytag washer : funny noise in spin cycle

I wasn't here when the repair guy stopped by. His diagnosis - need a new 'transition'. He would have to order the part.

Model # 7mmvwc210ywo - machine is 14 months old.

I'm looking online and I see "Washer/Dryer Seal, Transition Duct". Do you think that is what he had in mind ? Is this something I should do myself ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-14, 04:21 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
I'm not familiar with that machine. I tried looking it up in the parts list and that number shows as incorrect. There are some with similar numbers. Can you double check that for us.

I think what he had in mind was transmission but it would be hard to believe it's gone bad in a 14 month old appliance.

Maybe my partner Pugsi can shed some light on this unit.

Old 05-31-14, 03:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
After several tries got model # to work?? Don't know what the problem was. You have the newest type whirlpool built maytag washer and that transmission is know to go bad. not very common but happens. What kind of noise and has it effected how washer works. More common problem is the center pulley nut comes loose and it will make a loud grinding noise and may not spin or agitate. Very easy to check. lean washer back against wall AND LOOK UNDER IT. iF THE PLASTIC COVER HAS A GROOVE WORN IN IT THE PULLEY IS LOOSE AND THE CENTER NUT NEEDS TO BE TIGHTENED. (dam cap lock key) Put loctic on nut to hold it.
Am traveling and may not be back on till tomorrow.

Old 05-31-14, 10:55 AM
L
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thank you both.

This machine has been nothing but a pain in the neck. About a year ago they replaced just about everything except the drum and the transmission. All the electronics - a couple times. We had so many problems that they extended the warranty without us asking. Now it has its own dedicated voltage regulator or it won't complete a wash.

I heard the noise today. Sounds like a squeaky door. Everything underneath is tight. I think I saw a transmission for $149 on ebay. Whirlpool called today and they will replace it for $100 including labor.

At the time we bought it this was the best machine Home Depot had. It didn't have all the bells and whistles - which we didn't want - and it was a Maytag.

Old 05-31-14, 04:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Thank the EPA for that washer. Know what you are going through. Have been there many times.