Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator Not Cooling

Old 06-02-14, 06:46 AM
M
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Whirlpool Gold Refrigerator Not Cooling

I just realized this morning that the refrigerator portion of my Whirlpool Gold fridge isn't cooling. Both my daughter and my wife have been vomiting over the past few days and I believe the fridge is the culprit. It's just too coincidental. The freezer portion is fine (nice and cold), but the fridge portion is currently at 56 degrees. I made a service call a couple years ago under my home warranty for the door/flap inside the fridge (air diffuser assembly?) because it was making funny noises (has been since it was new). Apparently it is no longer working or there is a blockage. The freezer light is not working either as of a couple days ago. Perhaps they are on the same circuit? There is a bit of frost buildup inside the freezer so maybe it just needs to be defrosted. It gets left open a hair now and then so it's a good possibility. Maybe the light being out is just a coincidence, maybe thermal shock.

Last edited by mossman; 06-02-14 at 08:00 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-14, 06:04 PM
M
UPDATE: I took the cover off of the air diffuser assembly (or what have you) and the door was open, which means it's working properly and that the problem is a blockage in the duct leading from the freezer to the fridge. Sure enough it's caked with frost. I'm defrosting it over night and that should take care of it. The freezer light came back on by itself--must have been frost buildup on the switch contacts. Glad I didn't call my home warranty company and pay the deductible for someone to come out and tell me all it needs is a good defrosting. Would have felt pretty dumb if that happened.

Old 06-02-14, 07:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Your are currently manually defrosting the unit. That would mean that the self defrosting system is not functioning properly. Keep an eye on the coil. If it freezes up again then you'll need to address the defrosting issue.

Old 06-03-14, 06:32 AM
M
Will do. I took the back cover off the freezer and the coil is frozen solid. There's a drip tray underneath with a small lip, but underneath that is a hole that presumably leads to the underside of the fridge. It appears that when the drip pan overflows (which it likely will) the water is going to go into this hole. Why the heck would they put a hole here? Who would want water to drain to the bottom of their fridge and onto the floor rather than inside the freezer? I'm assuming there is another drip pan underneath the fridge, but still doesn't make sense.

Old 06-03-14, 07:51 AM
Group Moderator
When the defrosting system works normally...... there is a small amount of water that travels down that drain tube to a heated drip pan where it evaporates. When you have a massive ice chunk....... the drip pan will definitely overflow all over the floor.

Old 06-03-14, 12:31 PM
M
When you have a massive ice chunk....... the drip pan will definitely overflow all over the floor.
Good to know. Glad I plugged up the hole with a towel then. I noticed the finish peeling off the floor underneath the fridge when I had it pulled out a couple weeks ago. Apparently it has needed a defrost for quite some time. The freezer has been left cracked open a few times in recent memory (once overnight), so that was probably enough to freeze up the coils past the point where the auto-defrost was effective. My theory anyway.

Old 06-03-14, 04:35 PM
Group Moderator
The freezer has been left cracked open a few times in recent memory (once overnight), so that was probably enough to freeze up the coils past the point where the auto-defrost was effective. My theory anyway.
That could very well be. Some fridges only allow a certain preset time for defrosting based on average condtions.

Old 06-04-14, 05:38 AM
M
All defrosted and everything is working great now.