Connection between door and thermostat in Kenmore 795.68272900

Old 06-05-14, 10:20 PM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Connection between door and thermostat in Kenmore 795.68272900

I have a 3 year old Kenmore fridge. On three separate occasions separated by many months, the fridge randomly decided to stop running. The motor never turned on, and the fridge got up to room temperature and nothing could make it go back on again.

Because we're Jewish, we don't want to turn lights on on the sabbath (Saturday), so we tape the door switch down so the fridge doesn't "know" when the door has been opened (and the lights don't turn on). When I took the tape off the fridge started up again, but to me this doesn't make sense. Firstly the tape is there all the time (I don't want to forget to put it in place on Friday afternoon), and in the 4 years I've owned the fridge it's only happened on three occasions. Secondly, I just couldn't figure out why there's a connection between the door and the thermostat. Does the thermostat only 'read' if the door is opened? Is there some other connection? I'd really like to know why this is happening because it's a little annoying.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-14, 10:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Off the top of my head I can't think of a reason where the door switch would affect the compressor. I'm trying to locate a wiring diagram for the unit.

You could try posting your question at "manage my life" which is the Sears appiance help line. I left a link that should take you there.

Sears parts direct/Kenmore/Refrigerator/Repair-Maintenance/Questions-Answers/Model-79568272900

Old 06-06-14, 02:41 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 6 Votes on 6 Posts
Not sure on the Kenmore line, but my 4 door Samsung will cycle when we close the doors or drawers. Taping the door switches shut, would prevent the refrigerator from going through that cycle. It evacuates the warm air from the box and starts cooling if necessary. We have LED lighting, so it wouldn't be as simple as removing a bulb, so if you have a bulb, I would try unscrewing it on Friday night and let the refrigerator do its normal thing, as the switches may have dual purposes.