Identifying a GE oven

Old 06-11-14, 10:20 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Identifying a GE oven

I have a standalone electric oven at a property that I am trying to identify in order to make sure it has the proper electric wiring.

The oven is a standalone oven one one side of the kitchen, where the cooktop is on the other side. This oven is currently wired with two 30A breakers on #6 conductors. I thought most range are on double 50A breakers but I am not familiar with single electric ovens.

I have the model and serial number, but when I looked up the model number there is no match. I thought may be zeros and letter "O"s are confused so I tried different combinations still no luck.

I googled "GE JRS06B0J1B8" and nothing.

Anyone familiar with this model?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-14, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Here's one that seems very close...GE Range JRS06BJ1BB Parts List

Old 06-12-14, 10:51 AM
G
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Your sticker indicates 3.4 kilowatts. 3400 watts / 240 volts comes out to roughly 15 amps. It would appear that your wiring and breakers are satisfactory.

Old 06-12-14, 11:22 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
That 3.4kw is the broiler element. The bake element is 2.0kw which will draw even less current.

Old 06-12-14, 11:46 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
Ovens are usually wired on smaller circuits as there is typically only one element on at a time.
With a range..... you can have all four surface elements on AND at least one oven element.

Old 06-12-14, 01:35 PM
M
Vic, may be the last digit is not "8" and should be "B" and that would be a perfect match!

In the picture I thought it looks like an 8 but it was partly obscured by something and I tried cleaning it.

So if the draw is only 15amps, am I having too many amps on the breakers and too big a conductor? What would be the "proper" breaker and conductor size?

See, the way it is wired now, it runs three #6 in EMT about 20' to the kitchen wall where I presume a range used to be, then it ran up the attic again with a newer run (romex) for another 15' across to the oven, which is actually closer to the panel. The oven is really just 7' from the panel, but it skips 20' over, down, and back up and 15' across back to the oven because they used to have a range, and then split that into a cooktop and an oven on opposite sides. But they kept part of the old wiring. I am wondering if I should just run a new line from panel to the oven...or keep the reach around wiring because one day someone may want to use a range again.

Arghhh...

Old 06-12-14, 01:53 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Well, it's not a perfect match, you have an extra 0 in yours.

As to the amperage, I wonder if at one time they had a different unit and never changed the breakers? 30A would be small for a range I would think. Seems like 20A would be fine if it only draws 15.

Electrical Pro's will be around to answer the tech stuff.

Old 06-12-14, 04:02 PM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What size wire is the romex? This would determine the breaker size to use as the breaker is to protect the wiring from overload. That said, I would wire in a new feed to be safe and legal.

Old 06-12-14, 04:30 PM
M
The romex is also #6, so it's 25' or so of three conductors in EMT, then another 20' or so of same size romex to the oven. All that on two 30A breakers, serving a single electric oven that draws 3.4 KW.

Old 06-12-14, 04:33 PM
M
may be the extra zero means nothing, I wonder if that's actually two "groups" of numbers concatenated and the extra zero is the prefix for the second group that means nothing...not sure.

however the pictures and the dimensions on the parts list, and I also looked up the manual and they look the same.