Maytag Performa dryer does not start

Old 06-21-14, 05:40 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytag Performa dryer does not start

Hi,
I was in the middle of drying a load when the dryer stopped but the close was still wet. Not the dryer will not operate/start. I opened the door and there is no light inside. The Circuit breaker did not tripped and the power cord is plugged in properly. I also checked the door switch and it is operating properly.
The model number is PYE2000AYW and it was purchased in 1998.
Can someone please help? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-21-14, 09:53 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
UNPLUG DRYER FIRST
Open top (2 spring clips between top and front . push back with a thin putty knife) In back there is the heater on left side about 2 to 3 inches down is a quarter sized thermo fuse. Check for continuity. If open replace. After replacing clean out vent to outside or will happen again. Let us know what you find.

Old 06-23-14, 06:38 AM
K
Thanks for replying.
I've opened the dryer and checked the thermo fuse and it has continuity between the two spade lugs so I am assuming the fuse is bad, correct?
I've ordered the Kit that has the 3 fuses (LA-1053). I have not receive it as yet.
One other question I have is the light does not come on when the door is opened. Will a bad fuse cause this to not come on and after replacing the thermal fuse all should be well? I've also cleaned out the lint from the machine/vent.

Old 06-23-14, 09:52 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,103 Votes on 1,023 Posts
checked the thermo fuse and it has continuity between the two spade lugs so I am assuming the fuse is bad, correct?
No..... continuity is what you want. When the unit is bad it blows open. Did you remove at least one wire when you checked it ?

Have you checked for 240vac right at the wall socket ?
If you have it there then open the junction box on the back of the dryer and check there for it also. Unplug the power when removing the cover.

There is very little that can cause your problem.
Name:  dryer.JPG
Views: 684
Size:  28.9 KB

Old 06-23-14, 11:16 AM
K
Opps!
I removed both wires from the Thermal Fuse and there is continuity between the spade connections.
I did not checked the 240vac at the wall or in the junction box (will do it this afternoon when I get home) but I checked the circuit breaker and it did not trip.
You said to unplug the power from the wall when removing the cover. I am assuming that I will need to plug it back in when checking for 240vac in the junction box, correct?

Old 06-23-14, 11:45 AM
Group Moderator
I am assuming that I will need to plug it back in when checking for 240vac in the junction box, correct?
You are correct. The cover is small and can fall in if you don't have a good grip on it.

Also.... with circuit breakers.... they don't always show a trip when in a tripped condition. You would push the handle all the way to the off side and then turn it back on to reset it.

Old 06-23-14, 12:19 PM
K
PJ, Thanks for the quick response! I am reading the Service manual and it mentioned that there is a High Limit Thermostat on top of the heater inlet duct and also a thermal Fuse on top of the heat inlet duct. I only see one component on top of the heat inlet duct which is labeled 53-0771 and it has a blue colored face. This is the part I checked. There is another "Round Part" which might be a fuse but not sure which is on a sheet metal bracket below and right of the heat duct. My question is which one of these should I check? I only check the one attached but not the one below and right of the heat duct. Hope this make sense.

Name:  Fuse.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  7.6 KB

Old 06-23-14, 12:41 PM
Group Moderator
I'm out on the road so I can't see much but you should check all those thermostats. They all should show normally closed.

Old 06-23-14, 03:50 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yo checked the thermostat not the thermo fuse. look lower on the side and yo will see it. hard to see and read but even with wire connected if open will not get a reading. I always use the continuity part of meter, I can hear sound while trying to get to wires.

Old 06-24-14, 04:36 AM
K
Pugsl,
You are correct. I checked the thermal fuse yesterday afternoon and it is open so I know this is the problem. I've ordered the kit which comes with 3 items. The thermal fuse, the Thermostat and another part. I am thinking it is another thermostat but not sure. I know I have to replace the main thermostat that is above the heater duct after replacing the thermal fuse but do you know where the third item goes?

Name:  Fuse.jpg
Views: 4065
Size:  30.4 KB

Old 06-24-14, 03:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
instructions in kit but there is a dot of paint on parts and the sheet will tell you which to use. extra part goes in a gas dryer. I always find thay I take out heater and thermostat you can get to fuse. Be careful it's sharp in there.