GE Washing machine leaks at bottom during spin cycle

Old 06-22-14, 09:33 PM
N
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Washing machine leaks at bottom during spin cycle

We've had this washing machine for 9 months. It's still under warranty and I'll be calling GE. From day 1 we've had some kind of problem with it and I am not very happy.

What is happening is water is leaking from what it looks like under the washing machine when it goes to spin cycle. It's not like a gusher of water, but enough where I notice it. It's a very slow leak.

I checked the drain hose and it is fine. I checked the hoses from the cold/hot water hookups and no problems either.

We had it do this before a few months ago but it was fine since yesterday. The washer does have an agitator in the middle. The only other difference between this wash and other washes was that we put in a small bed sheet. If it got caught up with the agitator could it cause a leak on the bottom? I know I am grasping at straws here.

Any idea what it could be?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-14, 09:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
A small sheet should not have caused a problem.

Can you post the model number of the washer so we know what series you have.
If you lift the lid..... look down at the bottom..... under the lid and you should see a tag.

Old 06-22-14, 09:51 PM
N
PJ - Thanks for the quick reply - here is the model : GTWN2800D1WW

Old 06-23-14, 05:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Before yo call be make sure the drain line to street is not backing up. Fill and drain washer a couple of times and watch to see if water starts coming out of top of drain. GE will not pay for a call if drain blocked up. Take front off washer ( thin putty knife between top and front, 2 clips to push between clip and top while pulling front out, one side at a time) Check to see if water in base. If not there look else where for leak not washer. You can run washer with front off to see any leak.

Old 06-23-14, 08:32 AM
N
Checked the drain line as well and no problems there.

I have read up also on this model and it says that it keeps old water inside. That it never completely drains it out after each wash. Ugh.

We've had problems with this since the day we bought it and it does not surprise me. We wanted a simple washing machine but I guess that is too hard to make these days. I'll see what the repair man says but from what I'm reading about this model, it was made w/ cheap parts and the lifetime averages 2 years.

Old 06-23-14, 08:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
A typical place to leak would be right at the pump. I doubt the tub is leaking.
There is always some water left behind in the machine after a load is done.

Old 06-23-14, 03:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
ALL washer have some water left in machine after load is done. Not a fan of your washer. Did you take front off?

Old 06-27-14, 03:11 PM
N
No I haven't done it yet. Someone told me not to do that or my warranty gets voided. Still waiting for the GE guy to come. Maybe in a few weeks.

But here's the thing. WAshed clothes last night, no problem. Didn't leak. Just like before when it happened, it happened once and months went by where it did not happen again. Also it happens only when my wife does the laundry. I'm pretty much the laundry chief in the family and I'm in charge of everyone's laundry but she does it sometimes and this happens.

Again, all the pipes, hoses, connections on the exterior are fine. The only other thing I can think of is if my wife puts in too much soap? If say there is too much soap, is there some kind of failsafe for laundry machines where the soap will come out from the bottom?

Old 06-27-14, 03:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
No fail safe but to much soap or to much of the wrong type will cause problems. Use HE soap and about 1/2 of recommended amount. If no leak found when tech gets there GE will not pay for call. Take front off will not void warranty. If worried just put it back on before he gets there.
30 second operation to take off.