Do I Need a Washer Tray for a Top-load Washer?

Old 06-26-14, 02:37 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Do I Need a Washer Tray for a Top-load Washer?

Hi,

I recently moved into a top floor condo. The contractor installed a tray for the washer to sit on, but my washer is too large.

I bought a larger one, but I'm wondering if it's even necessary.

I know the tray will come in handy if the door of a front-load busts open, but will it ever help with a top-load?

Should I just skip the tray altogether?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-14, 02:57 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
If a hose leaks or something else fails it's possible that you or your insurance could be liable for damage to the units below.

Yes, it's necessary. Just make sure that the drain is installed correctly...it does have a drain line, doesn't it?

Old 06-26-14, 04:07 PM
Received 234 Votes on 209 Posts
It's unlikely a top loader will leak or bust enough to cause a flood. (That's why top loader tubs have a lifetime warranty.) But as Gunguy says the hoses are a weak link and eventually will break. You should never leave the supply faucet on when not in use. You can have a single lever utility valve installed that will shutoff both hot and cold with just a single pull of the lever. I highly recommend these to my customers.

Old 06-26-14, 05:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Depending which washer you have some top leaders can hold up to 20 to 25 gallons of water. A leak from these could be serious but don't happen very often. Hoses are the real problem area. Have been in houses where a hose broke and they were up to 25000$ and still counting.

Old 06-26-14, 08:00 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies.

Yes the tray would drain into the drain.

I will be using stainless steel hoses, so from my understanding they are pretty strong, but since you all insist it's a good idea I'll add the tray.

I guess I may have to pipe the new tray. The delivery guys are coming tomorrow and I doubt they'll do it, so I'll have to have it on the bare floor for now and then try and get the washer on the new tray once I pipe the drain.

Thanks.

Old 06-27-14, 04:07 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
You are getting a new washer they hold about 6 toim 8 gallons of water. Still need a pan. The anti flood hoses are ok but I have had problems with them. We replaced a washer twice before I found that the hoses were the problem The hoses kept pulsating the water and would not fill.