Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Household Cleaning, Kitchen Appliance Service and Repairs > >Electric< Large Kitchen and Home Appliances
Reload this Page >

Can I spray the inside of a fridge with a water hose (no electronics in door)

Old 06-29-14, 03:12 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

My tenants left the country early, had the power turned off, and left food in the fridge. This fridge was the worst smelling thing ever. After a lot of cleaner, bleach, and baking soda it is either ok or the food smell cannot be detected because the bleach smell is so overwhelming. I would like to connect a water hose to the kitchen sink and REALL spray down the inside with hot water.

My reasons:
1. I can pull it to the center of a large tile room and the tile is still dirty anyway.
2. I can leave it open for a long time, put a fan on it, whatever it needs because no one is moving in for 3 weeks.
3. the drip plate is non removable and I'm going to make a mess spraying it out anyway.

But I don't like to assume things and this forum has always been very helpful. Please let me know, thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-14, 04:16 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
We had ref. in the shop I used to work at that got so bad I did wash it out with a hose. It worked ok for me. Just remember electronics and water don't mix.

Old 06-29-14, 07:15 AM
H
Received 95 Votes on 84 Posts
I'd go one step further, wheel it outside and power wash it out.
Not the big contractor rig, but the small consumer big-box store ones seem to work well.

Just remember to start with the widest setting on the tip, and start from far back to see
how strong the jet is.

I've used them before for cleaning out coolers, cleaning out a fridge,
also found it worked great on a freezer that was iced up.

Old 06-29-14, 07:17 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks guys! The only pressure washer I have is legit bad ass (not sold at Home Depot thats for sure) so I'm gonna try the hose. Thanks again!

Old 06-29-14, 07:48 AM
Received 14 Votes on 12 Posts
We had our fridge die while we were out of town on vacation remember the smell all too well. We turned the fridge on and set flat plates full of coffee grinds inside the fridge. The coffee absorbed the smell in a couple of days. It was also recommended that we clean the inside with "Lemon 409" as the lemon helped neutralize the odor.

Old 06-29-14, 01:14 PM
B
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Buy yourself a bottle of Dawn Plus Odor Eraser liquid dish soap, mix a bunch in a bucket of hot water and wash it out. Then fill the drip pan with this and let it sit a day then clean it out with a sponge.

Should work and smell a lot better than bleach.

Old 06-29-14, 01:37 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,112 Votes on 1,032 Posts
If it's a newer fridge..... DO NOT use any type of pressure washer. I cringe at hearing someone running a hose inside one.

Old 06-29-14, 01:38 PM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Nobody mentioned charcoal? Very good at eliminating odors. The plain stuff...not mesquite or any easy lighting stuff.

Activated charcoal from a pet store is even better and will work more quickly.

Also a box filled with cat litter is pretty effective. Not used litter of course....lol.