Kenmore Stackable - washer constant spin noise

Old 07-01-14, 06:56 AM
B
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Our Kenmore stackable runs, drains, spins but yesterday started making a high pitched squealing noise when it's in the spin cycle. The sound is deafening. No burning smell. Can anyone offer things to check? Not sure how to get the front panel off either. I read somewhere online in another forum where someone recommended spraying the belt with hairspray? Something about it being too smooth & hairspray will make it tacky? Then I was watching a YouTube video where someone was talking about the legs being loose and showed how to just turn them to adjust them and tighten them. Before I go messing with anything I first need to know how to get the front panel open and then I'll trust the advice from anyone on here who may have much better recommendations of what to do to fix it. Any advice is appreciated.
It sounds very much like this: Washing machine noise? Squealing, screeching, whining GE washer spin cycle - YouTube

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-14, 10:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Post model # so we can see what washer you have. # will start with XXX.XXXXXX

Old 07-06-14, 09:33 AM
B

Sorry for the delay in responding. I didn't see there was a reply..

Model number is 417.97812704
I found this inside the dryer door. I'm assuming this is the number for the whole unit not just the dryer.

Name:  Screenshot_2014-07-06-12-31-26.jpg
Views: 2230
Size:  13.2 KB

Old 07-06-14, 10:29 AM
B

Video taken of my washer at the end of first spin cycle... going into fill/rinse. Washer spin noise - YouTube

Old 07-06-14, 11:49 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sounds like a belt. Take front off (2 screws lower front. #2 square drive works best but can use Philips head screw driver) You should be able to see vbelt and see if noise is coming from that area. Spray water or anything on belt to see if noise changes. If does you need a belt. 5 minute job. will tell how to do if needed.

Old 07-06-14, 12:37 PM
B
Ok thank you..I'll do it today and will report back

Old 07-20-14, 09:16 AM
B
Sorry it took this long to follow up. I went on vacation before I could tackle this repair. Now i am back and took off the front panel today. I felt around the belt to be sure it was not damaged or off the track as far as i could see. Got some nice greasy fingers though.

Seemed like the noise was coming from above the belt area not from the belt.

Here are 2 videos i took. The first shows the beginning of the spin cycle and the second is when it starts squealing. Can you help me fix this?

Kenmore washer beginning of spin before squeal - YouTube

Kenmore washer full squeal mode - YouTube

Old 07-20-14, 09:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Sure sounds like a belt noise. If you can get to belt while running put a little crayon or candle wax on belt to see if noise changes. A little water sprayed on belt may change noise also. If nouise changes replace belt. Let us know what you find. There are belt dressing but just thinking of something around house to try.

Old 07-20-14, 09:31 AM
B
Ok.. Will do it right now.

Old 07-20-14, 09:41 AM
B
Nope didnt work at all. Could it be the plastic drum or whatever the part is that holds the clothes rubbing against something? I rubbed crayon AND candle wax on the belt while running and sprayed a good amount of water. The belt is orange from all the crayon i pressed into it while it was running. No change at all.

Old 07-20-14, 09:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Next take belt off and turn idler pulley to see if smooth. If it is transmission usually is bad. Bearing in tub I have never seen bad.

Old 07-20-14, 09:45 AM
B
Ok.. So, basically pull belt off and feel around the pulley system where the belt sits and see if it is all smooth? I have WD40.. Is that useful for anything we might try?

Old 07-20-14, 10:03 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not really bearing are sealed and tub bearing you can't get to without a lot of work.

Old 07-20-14, 10:11 AM
B
Ok. Looks like i am stuck. I will call a repairman tomorrow. Will try to replace the belt first. We have a local appliance parts store that carries such things. Wish it wasn't Sunday as i would like to do it today. I dont think Sears, Home Depot, Lowes would carry them.

Old 07-20-14, 10:21 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Keep checking in maybe one of the other guys will come up with something else. You have a Frigedaire built washer. Just thought of something else, Don't think your problem but easy to check. Open lid and see it basket is loose in tub. Tub and basket will move but basket should only move with tub.

Old 07-20-14, 10:26 AM
B
Not loose from the tub but the basket squeals when i turn it. I think that is where its coming from.. I noticed that it spins counter clockwise.. This must be the way it turns during spin??

Old 07-20-14, 10:36 AM
B
Old 07-20-14, 01:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Unknown noise might be turning against belt.