Kenmore refrigerator warm in humid weather - freezer still freezing

Old 07-01-14, 01:45 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Kenmore refrigerator warm in humid weather - freezer still freezing

I have a Kenmore Model 253.67882503 that is unplugged for several months each year while we are out of town. For the past two or three summers we have had a problem with the fridge no longer cooling while the freezer still works. It seems to be linked closely with humid weather, though not necessarily high temps (often it happens when it is cool enough that we aren't running the A/C regularly). Once we unplug and let the freezer reach room temperature we can plug it back in and it runs fine. There is only a small access panel on the bottom rear of this unit so it is hard to see what might be the problem. I had assumed iced caused by humidity was causing the problem, but it doesn't seem like any water entered the evaporating pan underneath after I unplugged. When the problem occurs I do notice a small amount of frost in the freezer, but it can be as little as a thin film of frost no larger than 10 sq inches on the roof of the freezer. Last week when it happened I finally considered cleaning the coils (first time since 2006 ) but they didn't seem super dirty and now the weather has turned dryer, so I don't know if it helped. We never have the problem when using the unit in the fall or winter.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-14, 06:32 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,103 Votes on 1,023 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Try holding the door button in on the fridge when the compressor is running. You should feel cold air being blown into the fridge from the freezer. It sounds like the fan in the freezer may not be working.

The motor is pictorial part #13 and the fan blades are pictorial #5. You should be able to remove the cover in the freezer to see the fan if you can't tell if it's running.

KENMORE Refrigerator Cabinet Parts | Model 25367882503 | SearsPartsDirect

Old 07-02-14, 12:04 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I can feel a flow of air, so the fan seems to be running. I'll check again if humid weather causes the problem again.