Maytag Dryer shutting off

Old 07-02-14, 12:33 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytag Dryer shutting off

My maytag dryer keeps turning off. It will start run for 5-10 minutes and then turn off. It then has to cool down for it to restart, but it does and again runs for about 5-10 minutes. I checked the vents and everything is clear, i believe this is pointing to the thermostat but i was wondering if there is something else or are there multiple thermostats that could be the issue? I am expierenced with wiring, but not with dryers. Any information would be greatly helpful.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-14, 12:51 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Jessica Bell. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

I moved your post here from AC DC forum. May or may not be an electrical problem but surely is a dryer problem. Help us help you. Need more details.

Is the dryer electric?
Or is it gas?
Which type of gas? Natural gas or propane gas? Advise.
Serial number would be very helpful too. As would be the model number. Advise.

Once it is determined if it's gas or electric, someone hopefully will move it into the correct forum or leave it here. Thanks.

Use the REPLY button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Thanks
Admin

Old 07-02-14, 01:59 PM
J
thank you! it is an electric dryer will run on air fluff but not longer than 10 minutes on any heated setting

Old 07-02-14, 02:59 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
After it stops and than you push the start button does it make any noise, or after it cools and you push the start button does it make a a humming noise and start? Your problem sounds like a motor problem but need answer to questions.

Old 07-02-14, 07:09 PM
I suspect that your problem is with a thermistor. It's a type of resistor whose resistance varies with temperature. Manufacturers of clothes dryer, hair dryers, electric heaters, etc. put them in their circuits as an added safety device. But, over the years I've had a lot of devices fail due to the thermistor. About five years ago our Kenmore dryer failed due to a faulty thermistor. I did some research, located it, and straight wired past it. I know that adds some additional fire risk, but the dryer has another device that will cut the power if it gets too hot. Anyway, that's what I think your problem is. Good luck.

Oh, just thought I might add that if you can find the thermistor, you can connect a jumper wire across it to see if your dryer works right. If so, you can then locate a replacement to install later.

Old 07-02-14, 07:39 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,113 Votes on 1,033 Posts
In a dryer application it's called a thermal fuse and when it blows it's gone. I've never seen them go intermittent and while temporarily bypassing it is one way to check it..... it must be replaced if bad. I cannot recommend ever completely bypassing a safety device.

Old 07-03-14, 07:48 AM
F
I suspect that your problem is with a thermistor.
Without knowing the dryer model number, how do you even know if this dryer has a thermistor? A thermistor is not a safety device and you should never jump one out. You must be thinking of a thermal fuse or thermal cutoff. Anyway, we can't be of much help without a model number. BTW, I have seen intermittent thermal fuses. It's not the fuse inside that is intermittent, it's the connection inside between the external wiring terminal and fuse, but again, without knowing model number, we don't even know if there is a thermal fuse in the motor circuit.

Old 07-03-14, 10:19 AM
Another thing to check is blockage in the vent. This could cause the unit to quickly overheat and shut down.

Old 07-03-14, 04:19 PM
F
He said he already checked the vents and everything is clear.

Old 07-05-14, 07:06 AM
J
my model number is medc400vw0 i've had a thermal fuse go before on another dryer and it just wouldn't do anything

Old 07-05-14, 07:09 AM
J
after it stops immediately it does nothing once it cools it starts up normally and runs again for about 10 minutes

Old 07-05-14, 07:12 AM
Group Moderator
Thanks for posting the model number. We'll check it out. Currently it sounds like the motor is overheating and shutting down on thermal overload (overheating).

Old 07-05-14, 08:24 AM
F
No thermistor in this dryer but does have a thermal fuse in motor circuit. I don't suspect the motor overload is tripping since you say it runs ok in air fluff. Motor draws same current in air fluff as in heat mode. Could be the heat is causing intermittent failure of the thermal fuse. I would try replacing the fuse.

Old 07-05-14, 09:14 AM
Group Moderator
I had forgotten the air fluff part. This problem could actually be outside the dryer. It could be a problem circuit breaker or a power cord connection at the back of the dryer.

It sounds like you're going to need to get the VOM (volt ohmmeter) warmed up.

Old 07-08-14, 01:25 PM
J
Wink thanks everyone!

sorry for the late reply bypassed the thermal fuse and it worked like new. new one on order.

Old 07-08-14, 05:57 PM
Hope you bother to it in when you get it. Mine is still in the package it came in. Just haven't got around to putting it in. Plus I forgot where it goes.

Old 07-08-14, 11:53 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 74 Votes on 67 Posts
Post make and model #and we will tell you where it goes. Very dangerous without it.